Vista Ultimate 64-Bit unable to run anything Bluetooth. Using Microsoft Bluetooth receiver and attempting to use Microsoft Bluetooth keyboard and mouse

I've had this problem ever since I went from XP to Vista.  Everything worked flawless in XP.  I started months ago with a clean install of Vista Ultimate 64bit.  I have the Microsoft Keyboard Elite for Bluetooth (Model 1002) and the Microsoft Intellimouse Explorer for Bluetooth (Model 1001).  I bought these as a kit a while ago that came with a Microsoft USB receiver. 

I plugged the USB receiver into my computer and the Device Manager shows the Bluetooth Enumerator and the BlueTooth 2.0 recevier.  The problem is that I do not have the Bluetooth icon in control panel so I cannot add any items.  When I go into the Services, I see a "Bluetooth Support Service" but I am unable to start it.  Once it gave me an error about unable to start due to the application not having the correct service interface or something like that.  I then uninstalled the devices in device manager and did a rescan for new hardware.  This must have done something because it changed the error to "Unable to start the service in a timely fashion" type of message.

I have installed the latest Intellipoint and Intellitype software from Microsoft (did so on Nov 18). 

I'm really stumped on this. I would have thought with this being all Microsoft items that it would just work.

I suppose I am looking for help on the following:
1.  How do I get the Bluetooth icon in my Control Panel (it used to be there when I used all of this in XP)?
2.  How can I get the Bluetooth Support Service started without these errors?
3.  How can I get my keyboard and mouse to be recognized?

I've scoured the internet for help and most of the items seem to be focused on XP.  The couple of threads I saw about Vista talk about replacing the stack with something else.  I don't have interest in doing this unless absolutely needed.  I just want the keyboard and mouse to work.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Question Info

Last updated March 25, 2018 Views 3,662 Applies to:

Hi MikeSharpe,

Welcome to Microsoft Answers Forums.

First I would suggest that you scan the computer for any malware or virus infection and later try to add the Bluetooth device.

Refer the below link to Microsoft security essentials

http://www.microsoft.com/Security_Essentials/

If you want to scan more efficient on the computer refer the below link.

http://social.answers.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/vistahardware/thread/94e971f6-84ed-468d-8747-ee7a6f6cb13c

If the above steps does not fix the issue would suggest that you run Fixit tool available in the below link.

The Bluetooth item in Control Panel on a Windows Vista SP2-based computer does not work as expected when you click the item

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/960531

Change settings for a Bluetooth enabled device

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-vista/Change-settings-for-a-Bluetooth-enabled-device

Halima S    - Microsoft Support.

Visit our Microsoft Answers Feedback Forum and let us know what you think.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Sorry about commenting in an old posting but I basically gave up for the past couple of weeks until now.   I really want this work but no matter what I do it will not work.

Device Manager shows:
Microsoft Bluetooth Enumerator
Microsoft Wireless Transceiver for Bluetooth 2.0

Microsoft Bluetooth Enumerator Driver Details:
C:\windows\system32\drivers\bthenum.sys
6.0.6001.18000 (longhorn_rtm.080118-1840)

Microsoft Wireless Tranceiver for Bluetooth 2.0 Driver Details:
C:\Windows\system32\drivers\bthport.sys
6.0.6002.18005 (lh_sp2rtm.090410-1830)
C:\windows\system32\drivers\bthusb.sys
6.0.6001.18064 (vistasp1_gdr.080428-1527)
C:\windows\system32\fsquirt.exe
6.0.6002.18005 (lh_sp2rtm.090410-1830)

Bluetooth Support Service (BthServ) shows up as automatic and Started.
I do not have any Bluetooth icon in my taskbar.
I do not have any Bluetooth icon in my Control Panel
Running bthprops.cpl does nothing.
I installed Intellipoint IPx64_1033_7.00.260.0.exe
I installed Intellitype IPTx64_1033_7.00.260.0.exe

Still no avail.  I've extremely frustrated as to why a MICROSOFT hardware product does not work on this MICROSOFT operating system.
There must be something very simple that I am either overlooking or doing wrong. 
I've tried the automatic Fix-It things in the links you provided and they do nothing to fix the problem.

Please help me.  This is the kind of stuff that drives people to Macs....

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi MikeSharpe,

Welcome Back!

This may sometimes happen if the driver present on the computer for the Bluetooth devices is corrupted.

I would suggest that you uninstall the all the devices for USB Bluetooth from the device manager and later let windows detect the drivers and install it.

• Open Device Manager by clicking the Start button, clicking Control Panel, clicking System and Maintenance, and then clicking Device Manager. If you are prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.
• Look for Bluetooth USB then Microsoft Bluetooth device later click on Uninstall.
• Make sure that the box “delete driver” is also checked.
• Later in the Device Manager, click Action, and then click Scan for hardware changes. Follow the instructions.
• This should load the driver for the Bluetooth device later restart the computer and check if it works.

Halima S    - Microsoft Support.
Visit our Microsoft Answers Feedback Forum and let us know what you think.

Sorry this didn't help.

I followed all the steps you provided however when I attempted to "Uninstall" the bluetooth adapter components, there was no checkbox or anything that allowed me to delete the driver.  I went through and uninstalled both items and then rescanned hardware again.  Windows detected the same things again.  The bluetooth icon was in my task tray andI verified that the computer allowed for discovery.  After about 7 minutes, the icon in the taskbar just disappeared as if it closed itself and won't come back. 

Is there a way I can do the uninstall and force the remove of the drivers manually?  I am willing to try just about anything at this point even if it means editing the registry and/or deleting files from the computer.  Plug and play should not be this difficult, especially since it is the Microsoft products trying to talk to a Microsoft operating system.  I don't want to shell out another $200 for Windows 7 Ultimate just for this bluetooth functionality, assuming it works in Windows 7.

Sorry this didn't help.

I started comparing the device information and this is what I see:

"Mcrosoft Wireless Transceiver for Bluetooth 2.0" has a hardware ID of USB\Vid_045e&Pid_009c
This matches what is present in the bth.inf file (under [MicrosoftHW.NTamd64...1] section) in my C:\Windows\inf directory

"Microsoft Bluetooth Enumerator" has a hardware ID of BTH\MS_BTHBRB
This matches what is present in the bth.inf file (under [Microsoft.NTamd64...1] section)

My inf file is dated 06/23/2009.  Any attempt to update the drivers results with Vista saying that the drivers are up to date.

The "Bluetooth Support Service" (aka bthserv) is running and set to automatic startup.

Sorry this didn't help.

same problem with Bluetooth in Win7 x64

after a lot of time when i HAD to stay on win xp because win2003 NEVER supported the kit Microsoft Elite For Bluetooth ( i`ve received mail to get the cash for this hardware from MS so i`m 100% sure they are not supported ) , now i find the same stupid thing happening on Win 7 x64

i really think that MS people are either idiots or those guys on software are payed less than those working on hardware so they never help them 

Logitech MX Air works  perfect, no driver no s**t ... 

can we get a MS developer to give a good advice?

so, maybe i need to repeat : i have a MS Elite for Bluetooth kit ( with fingerprint too - i know this one is not supported either ...) , and i want it to work on MS Win 7 x64. so far i see only a "microsoft radio for bluetooth 2.0" with a big ! before it ....

removing / deleting / add more ...didn`t work 

suggestion ? maybe burn it and ask for refund will DO work 

Sorry this didn't help.

same problem with Bluetooth in Win7 x64

after a lot of time when i HAD to stay on win xp because win2003 NEVER supported the kit Microsoft Elite For Bluetooth ( i`ve received mail to get the cash for this hardware from MS so i`m 100% sure they are not supported ) , now i find the same stupid thing happening on Win 7 x64

i really think that MS people are either idiots or those guys on software are payed less than those working on hardware so they never help them 

Logitech MX Air works  perfect, no driver no s**t ... 

can we get a MS developer to give a good advice?

so, maybe i need to repeat : i have a MS Elite for Bluetooth kit ( with fingerprint too - i know this one is not supported either ...) , and i want it to work on MS Win 7 x64. so far i see only a "microsoft radio for bluetooth 2.0" with a big ! before it ....

removing / deleting / add more ...didn`t work 

suggestion ? maybe burn it and ask for refund will DO work 

Sorry this didn't help.