USB Ports, CD/DVD Drive, and Microphone all not working

So I'm fairly sure these things occurred simultaneously, though there is the potential my trying troubleshoot the USB ports contributed to the malfunction of the microphone (internal and wont pick up sound) and cd/dvd drive (wont open). Maybe? Admittedly I know little about these sorts of things, but I'm great at following directions which is what I've done in trying to remedy the USB port problem, which was the first I noticed. I've followed all the advice that I could find online for troubleshooting when ALL usb ports are unresponsive. I used device manager to disable them in both its regular and safe mode. I've also uninstalled them all in both modes (though they reinstall before I am able to reboot). I unplugged and waited 5, 10, 15 min etc. There was a fix mentioned about looking at the .INF files and mine did not seem to contain the error mentioned. I'm tempted to backup all of my files and restore the computer to factory settings, especially now that the CD/DVD drive and microphone aren't working. Would this solve the problem? So are these things related? Could I even restore the settings since I can't get into the cd/dvd drive? It's a dell inspiron 1721, and it crashed then wouldn't reboot for almost a whole day right about the time I began noticing all these malfunctions. I truly appreciate any guidance!

Question Info

Last updated August 14, 2019 Views 1,369 Applies to:
Answer
Answer
Okay so I've resolved all these issues. I don't know what did the trick, but when I went back into BIOS to re-enable the ports they worked!

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.