USB external HDD unidentified

When connecting my Seagate external USB HDD the installation process begins. However, it get this message "found driver software but encountered an error while attempting to install it". Also, "the required section was not found in the INF". However, if I unplug and plug the device back into in the USB, I am prompted to install drivers which i agree to. Then I get a message "Unidentified Device, Device driver softeware installed successfully" in the tray location. In Computer Management, Device Manager, I can locate the USB Mass Storage Device under Unknown and also, Seagate USB Device under Disk Drives. In My Computer, the HDD does not appear under Devices with Removable Storage. I have also tried to assign a drive letter to the device in Disk Management but I get an error indicating that disk management is not up-to-date. What can I do to access my HDD? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!! Cheers.

Question Info

Last updated March 25, 2018 Views 1,687 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Have you tried connecting the drive to another computer to see if it works with that computer?

"RyanSMaclean" wrote in message news:*** Email address is removed for privacy ***...

When connecting my Seagate external USB HDD the installation process begins. However, it get this message "found driver software but encountered an error while attempting to install it". Also, "the required section was not found in the INF". However, if I unplug and plug the device back into in the USB, I am prompted to install drivers which i agree to. Then I get a message "Unidentified Device, Device driver softeware installed successfully" in the tray location. In Computer Management, Device Manager, I can locate the USB Mass Storage Device under Unknown and also, Seagate USB Device under Disk Drives. In My Computer, the HDD does not appear under Devices with Removable Storage. I have also tried to assign a drive letter to the device in Disk Management but I get an error indicating that disk management is not up-to-date. What can I do to access my HDD? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!! Cheers.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Yes. It works fine on another computer. On my computer the drivers install. I cannot find this drive in Windows Explorer. The hardware can be viewed in Computer Management under Disk drives and Unknown. In Disk management, the drive is available but is not assigned a letter. When I attempt to assign letter, the operation fails...

Sorry this didn't help.

I have been busy the past few days reviewing solutions on these forums. So far no success. However, I have narrowed my problem down to this:

I have connected a USB external HDD. The drivers were installed with a warning: " found driver software but encountered an error while attempting to install it" and  "the required section was not found in the INF". The HDD works fine.

I can view the HDD in Device Manager under Disk Drives and under Unknown. Also, under Disk Management; however, I can not assign it a drive letter. When I try this it says "operation failed because Disk Managment console view is not up to date".

When I go to My Computer, the hardware icon does not appear. I cannot access the HDD. Other USB plug-ins will work in any other USB on my computer: flash drives, printer, Ipod, etc. Just not the HDD - which is the second one I have tried (previous was a WD and now a Seagate). WTF!

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Sorry this didn't help.

Sounds like a USB port/hub failure.  If other devices like USB flash drives or MP3 players work okay, then the device may need to be plugged into a powered hub.  If other devices don't work, then you need to look into why your USB ports are not working.  Could be a driver problem, or a hardware problem.

"RyanSMaclean" wrote in message news:*** Email address is removed for privacy ***...

Yes. It works fine on another computer. On my computer the drivers install. I cannot find this drive in Windows Explorer. The hardware can be viewed in Computer Management under Disk drives and Unknown. In Disk management, the drive is available but is not assigned a letter. When I attempt to assign letter, the operation fails...

Sorry this didn't help.

Perhaps it has something to do with the fact that all my USB Host controllers and Hubs are labelled as Unknown when I view then in Device Manager. When I plug in the HDD I get a Mass Storage label in Unknown and a Seagate USB device under Disk Drives. Then a bubble in the bottom right corner if the screen says "Unidentified Device, device driver software installed successfully";  but still unable to view the device in My Computer.

I tried troubleshooting by downloading the 965 Express Chipset from Intel (LG P300 laptop) and updated the driver software of each USB but this did not work...

Please, I have tried many suggestions on this forum without successful, I need some help...cheers!

Sorry this didn't help.

Delete them and reboot. Your system will reinstall the drivers. Common problem with "update". Been there with Vista.

Sorry this didn't help.

I tried this but because the USB controllers and hubs are listed under Unknown, and when I uninstall them they disappear and are gone. If I reboot the computer they do not reappear...the only way to get them back (and they are again listed as Unknown) is to do a system restore. I do not have a Universal Bus directory listed in Device Manager...all this hardware is listed under Unkown!

Any more suggestions??

Sorry this didn't help.

Yes, that is your problem; until the USB ports and hubs are properly identified they won't work with any devices you plug into them. Unfortunately it looks like you've tried everything I would try to fix it, you may simply have a hardware problem with the USB system on the laptop, and since it's a laptop your repair and replacement options are very limited.

Perhaps it has something to do with the fact that all my USB Host controllers and Hubs are labelled as Unknown when I view then in Device Manager. When I plug in the HDD I get a Mass Storage label in Unknown and a Seagate USB device under Disk Drives. Then a bubble in the bottom right corner if the screen says "Unidentified Device, device driver software installed successfully";  but still unable to view the device in My Computer.

I tried troubleshooting by downloading the 965 Express Chipset from Intel (LG P300 laptop) and updated the driver software of each USB but this did not work...

Please, I have tried many suggestions on this forum without successful, I need some help...cheers!

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi RyanSMaclean,

Try the below steps:

1.     Create system restore point. Steps to follow:

a.  Open System by clicking the Start button, clicking Control Panel, clicking System and Maintenance, and then clicking System.

b.  In the left pane, click System Protection. If you are prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.

c.   Click the System Protection tab, and then click Create.

d.  In the System Protection dialog box, type a description, and then click Create.

Link:http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-vista/System-Restore-frequently-asked-questions

2.     Once after creating system restore point, follow the below steps:

a.  Click on start, in search box type in cmd

b.  Right click on cmd.exe and select Run as administrator

c.   At a command prompt, type the following command , and then press ENTER:

set devmgr_show_nonpresent_devices=1

d.  Type the following command a command prompt, and then press ENTER:

start devmgmt.msc

e.  Click on view in device manager and select Show hidden devices

f.    Uninstall all the hidden USB devices listed underdisk drivers, storage volume, Universal Serial Bus Controllers.

g.  To uninstall right click on the device and select uninstall.

h.  Type exit at the command prompt.

Note: When you close the command prompt window, Window clears the devmgr_show_nonpresent_devices=1 variable that you set in step c and prevents ghosted devices from being displayed when you click Show hidden devices.

i.    Restart the computer

Regards:

Samhrutha G S - Microsoft Support.

Visit our Microsoft Answers Feedback Forum and let us know what you think.

Sorry this didn't help.

The advice is much appreciated, but...tried this method and was unsuccessful! In step f I do not havedisk drivers, storage volume, USB Controllers. I had an option to view Disk Drives. This contained all the hidden USB devices which I continued to uninstalled and continued with the rest of the process as described. Nothing has changed!

I do not have a Universal Serial Bus Controller option anywhere  inDisk Management. All my USB controllers (7), hubs (7) and composite device (1) are located underUnknown.

Now what? Any more suggestions? Please...

Sorry this didn't help.