Unable to format external hard drive
Formatting an external hard drive
I can't get my external hard driver to format , the window says it can't be formatted, so can somebody please help me to get this formatted?
It's a 20gb 2.5samsung, or are these even compatible with a decktop?
1. What is the make and model of your external hard disk?
2. Do you have any data on the drive?
Try to format the drive on a different computer and check if it helps.
Also, run chkdsk (disk checking) on the drive.
Follow these steps:
1. Click on start and then right click on computer.
2. Click on properties.
3. Now click theTools menu and then click on check now.
4. Select the external drive.
5. Check options "automatically fix file system errors" and "scan for and attempt recovery of bad sectors".
6. Click on check now.
Afzal Taher-Microsoft Support.
Visit our Microsoft Answers Feedback Forum and let us know what you think.