SD Cards are write protected on Vista

I have several SD cards of multiple brands that my Vista 64 system identifies as write protected.  I have two seperate SD card readers on the Vista system and both return the same error.  The same SD cards can be written to by digital cameras and by my windows XP computer.  I have confirmed that the write protection tab is in the unlocked position.  Five seperate SD cards are involved ranging between 256 mb and 2 GB.  Multiple brands are also involved.

I have tried the suggested process of 1. Insert card  2. Select Eject   3. Remove then reinsert card  4. Attempt to write to the card.  After four or five attempts, this did not help.
I also tried selecting the card in Explorer and selecting Open as Portable Device.  For reasons I do not understand, one of the SD cards started working after doing this twice.  However, it does not work for the remaining 4 SD cards. 
|
Answer
Answer

If both the computer and the camera say it's write protected then it is either write protected or damaged.  Look for the sliding lock tab on the card and un-lock it.  If there is no locking tab then the card may be damaged and in need of replacement.

<shykeim7> wrote in message news:*** Email address is removed for privacy ***...

im having the same issue but i have win7. it just started out the blue one day. what do i do cuz now my camera wont read/write on the card bc it says protected

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated December 13, 2020 Views 1,457 Applies to: