Screen crash (gray, green, black...) with vertical lines

Hallo!
I try to find an answer to a problem that i found is common allready. It happends RANDOMLY couple times/day since i bought the computer, 2 months ago. I ve seen tons of topics about this problem, but never a final answer. I have tried allmost everything to get rid of this problem. My computer configuration and OS are:
My OS is windows Vista, but it happened with Ubuntu, Windows 7 and Windows xp (all on 32 version).
One strange fact is that the crashes have not manifested in service of the vendor, where my computer was not connected to internet, so may be also about the network adapter or MS updates...
I m allready aware of many ideas about this crash, but i just need a solution.
With consideration,
Mihai
|

Hi bosho_1

Thank you for using Microsoft Answers Forums!

Since this problem is happening since you bought the computer check for overheating. Your system problem can be caused because of overheating. Allow it to cool down.

Did you try to update the drivers and check?

Let’s try to reinstall the drivers and see if it helps:

Try to uninstall and reinstall drivers and check if it works.

You must be logged on as an administrator to perform these steps.

1.    Open Device Manager by clicking the Start button, clicking Control Panel, clicking System and Maintenance, and then clicking Device Manager. If you are prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.

2.    In Device Manager, locate the device you want to uninstall/delete and then right-click     the device name and uninstall/delete it.

3.    Now restart the system

4.    And let Windows discover the device and install it automatically.

We can try to update the drivers to the most recent and check if it works.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-vista/Update-a-driver-for-hardware-that-isnt-working-properly

If this does not work try to reflash the BIOS. Contact the system manufacturer for help.

It could also be caused because of bad memory. Run a memory diagnostic tool and check. Refer to this link:

http://social.answers.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/vistaperformance/thread/528e93c1-2bf3-498d-aa54-5ec8c2f8b21f

Post back and let us know if this has helped to resolve your issue.

Thanks and Regards,

Uma R    - Microsoft Support.

Visit our Microsoft Answers Feedback Forum and let us know what you think.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Thank you for trying to help me. I appreciate the support MS try to give. Kinda different of Sapphire till now who havent answered my mail. I try to respond to a part of your suppositions for now:
1. Heating - this problem was identified in shop s service, where after some hours of intense tests the I5 processor was going up to 91 celsius degrees (i m really sorry, i m not familiarised with fahrenheit scale). We decided to buy a different cooler instead of the stock one, and it is now the Zerotherm from system specs in previous post. Result is that the processor temperature never rise now more than 53 celsius degrees (127,4 fahrenheit) :), which is a substantial improvement. Also the temperature of the videocard is after Furmark most stressful settings at maximum 63 celsius degrees (145.4 fahrenheit). If you suggest another home measurement ways, please do. I used cpuz and gpuz. I asked and now i consider that the temperatures i mention are normals and cannot cause a crash.
Also i have to mention, even if you must be aware, that the mobo Asrock P55 pro generate by default some dynamic overclocking (for example i see that the core frequency raises to 3200, that is about 15-20% more than his normal frequency). The fact that the I5 itself have some turbo boosting ability may cause someting about voltage, but my speculations about that ends here, since i have no hardware or physics training.  I also did disabled, with someone s help, all OC settings in mobo Bios, but no results. Just wanted to aware you of those. The PSU must be good enough to provide enough power and a friend measured the voltage and was good. I am really sorry, cause i feel i m so confuse when i say, i dont know english , never studied in school, just by speaking...
2. Drivers :- I have updated to last catalyst drivers (9.12) and a newer flash bios (2.10 from 11.06.2009). I also tried a trick a friend suggested, to modify the profile from catalyst (edited with notepad like that: <Profile>
  <Caste name="Graphics">
    <Groups>
      <Group name="Overdrive5">
        <Feature name="TimeUnlocked" />
        <Feature name="OverclockEnabled">
          <Property name="OverclockEnabledProperty" value="True" />
        </Feature>
        <Feature name="CoreClockTarget_0">
          <Property name="Want_0" value="50000" />
          <Property name="Want_1" value="50000" />
          <Property name="Want_2" value="75000" />
        </Feature>
        <Feature name="MemoryClockTarget_0">
          <Property name="Want_0" value="80000" />
          <Property name="Want_1" value="80000" />
          <Property name="Want_2" value="80000" />
        </Feature>
        <Feature name="CoreVoltageTarget_0">
          <Property name="Want_0" value="950" />
          <Property name="Want_1" value="950" />
          <Property name="Want_2" value="1000" />
        </Feature>
        <Feature name="MemoryVoltageTarget_0">
          <Property name="Want_0" value="0" />
          <Property name="Want_1" value="0" />
          <Property name="Want_2" value="0" />
.. i hope is not wrong to post that. The reason was to avoid undervoltages ment by ATI with their green stuff technologies who, as i heard, is generating the crashes
No result.
I changed fan speed to 50% .. no result.
3. Memtest : 5 full cycles, 3 hours and about 10 min - no errors.

Well, i tried a lot of stuff seen in forums and tend now to consider that is one of the following posibilities:
- the video card is broken - i ll try once more to send it back to vendor...
- the drivers are BAD - i wait patiently for ATI to fix
the Intel I5 may cause this (well, is a possibility, since most user who reported were using I5/I7 platform)
- one or several UPDATES from Microsoft can cause a bug - that s why i knocked also at your door, to express a suspicion due to ennoyng problem.

But i think that most pertinent of those 3 is the driver problem. I m just scared my computer can have a damaged part, also i m disturbed that i cannot relly on this machine for anything right now.

I must reiterate, i have NO computer knowledge, i m a simple user who try to understand, please, if you can, help me. Also , please understand my ignorance that can be obvious in some sentences, in their form or signification.
Respectfully,
Mihai

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

My PC is showing almost exactly the same behavior.  My specs are very similar.
Gigabyte P-55 UD3 mobo
Core i5-750 Lynnfield Quad (2.66 GHz)
Gskill 2x2Gb DDR3
Radeon HD5770 1 Gb

I notice that the symptoms happen most often when running in IE or Firefox in a page with a window running Flash Player or some other video.  Here are some vital signs.

Temperatures:  Very good.  CPU cores never exceed 35-40 Celsius and no overclocking (Turbo Boost is off, running at 2.66 GHz with a clock ratio equal to 20, 133 MHz core clock frequency).

GPU Drivers:  Reinstalled drivers 3x and used Drive Sweeper in Safe Mode before the last driver install.

BIOS:  Reflashed BIOS and am running on the Gigabyte Optimized settings except Turbo Boost is off to prevent driving the chip any higher than 2.66 GHz.

RAM:  Did a test where I removed 1 stick of RAM at a time and checked the size and voltage.  Size and voltage are to spec for each stick (2 Gb, 1.5 V).

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

thanks,

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hello jcohenx,

·         Have you tried to uninstall and reinstall the drivers for your Video card as suggested in the previous post?

You can try to uninstall and reinstall the drivers from the ATI website and install the latest version of driver and check if the issue persists.

Here is a link I found to download and install the latest driver from the ATI website:

http://support.amd.com/us/kbarticles/Pages/ATIRadeonHD5800seriesrecommendedgraphicsdriver.aspx

Follow the instructions to uninstall the driver as suggested in the previous post and download this driver and install it.

Thanks,
Irfan H, Microsoft Answers Support Engineer. Visit our
Microsoft Answers Feedback Forum and let us know what you think.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Ifran;

Yes, I did uninstall and reinstall the drivers at least a couple of times using published procedures.  In the end, I had to return the HD5770 GPU and replace it with a new one.  After replacing with a new one, the problem went away for about a month but now it appears to be returning again.  It's always random but the result is the same, vertical grey and black lines and complete lockup of the PC.  I am still of the opinion that this is a Radeon issue simply because of the sheer number of threads on multiple boards and they all have the same GPU in common.  If I learn anything new I'll post it here.

thanks,

jc

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hello bosho_1,

The issue could be caused by overheating of the graphics processor. This could an issue related to hardware.

On my research on this I found that the issue is caused by ATI processor overheating. I suggest tha you contact ATI for support.

Here is a link I found that will help you with the information on Technical Support:

http://support.amd.com/us/contacts/Pages/GraphicsTechnicalSupport.aspx

Thanks,
Microsoft Answers Feedback Forum and let us know what you think

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Ifran;

Thanks again for the reply.  I use both the ATI control panel as well as CPU- HW Monitor to watch the GPU temps and they are always well in spec.  I never exceed 60 Celsius even when pushing the GPU very hard with games like Left 4 Dead 2 or Batman Arkham Asylum.  Interestingly, when the PC crashes, it always occurs when doing light activity such as surfing the net or just sitting idle.  Never when pushing the GPU hard at all.  I am still of the opinion that the HD5770, while a decent performer and a great price, is just not a very robust graphics card but I can't rule out the mobo as a possibility.  At this point, unless there is a magic bullet fix in the form of an updated ATI driver in 6-12 months, I am just going to wait for the GPU to completely break down and get an upgrade.

thanks,

jc

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hello bosho_1,

Since you have monitored the GPU temps and they are well within the limits we can rule out the possibility that this could be caused by overheating of the graphics card.

I suggest that you set your computer to clean boot to check if any third party service running in the background could be the cause for random crash.

How to perform clean boot on the computer running Windows Vista

1. Click Start, type msconfig in the Start Search box, and then press ENTER.

If you are prompted for an administrator password or for a confirmation, type the password, or click Continue.

2. On the General tab, click Selective Startup.

3. Under Selective Startup, click to clear the Load Startup Items check box.

4. Click the Services tab, click to select the Hide All Microsoft Services check box, and then click Disable All.

5. Click OK.

6. When you are prompted, click Restart.

7. After the computer starts, check if the issue is fixed.

If your issue is resolved after performing Clean Boot, then follow the steps mentioned in the following KB article to narrow down the exact source:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929135

If you can isolate one service that is selected when the problem occurs, that service is the one that causes the problem. If you determine that a service is causing the problem Normal startup mode following the steps under ‘Reset the computer to start as usual’.

Thanks,
Microsoft Answers Feedback Forum and let us know what you think.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated May 6, 2021 Views 15,735 Applies to: