reinstall dvd\cd-rom drive on an acer aspire 4520

I had to do a full factory recovery on my acer aspire 4520, running on windows vista service pack 2. My dvd\cd-rom drive has been missing for months and thought the update would help. Still I can't seem to have this issue resolved. I really don't want to send it in to acer for a $200 repair. Device manager doesnt list and dvd\cd-rom drive or hardware. my laptop won't play or run any dvd\cd. The box lights up and makes noise like it's going to work, then theres nothing. I have run Microsofts fix it, and says the drive is missing. I run the hardware its says no hardware or drive detected. I go to acer to reinstall the drives, but they don't have the one i need listed, and recommend i send it in. Is there anyway i can reinstall the device and\or hardware? With out having to send it into acer? I'm willing to try and fix it, I just need someone with computer knowledge to help me with how and what to do. Thank you to anyone who trys to help!

Question Info

Last updated May 2, 2018 Views 2,567 Applies to:
Answer

Hi,

Since you did a revision back to factory out-of-the-box state it sounds like the optical drive has failed or
there are other hardware issues.

Setup/Settings (BIOS/CMOS) often F2 as you boot so watch the screen - set the CD/DVD to first in the
boot order - then see if you can boot to a Windows or other boot disk to see if the drive works.

If the drive will not boot then you will need the help of a real computer shop (one that does its own in-house
sevice and not leeks and peeks at a Best Buy or other Big Box Stores) or Acer's Support.

Acer - USA - Service and Support - Drivers
http://us.acer.com/ac/en/US/content/support

Acer - Worldwide
http://www.acer.com/worldwide/selection.html

Hope this helps.

Rob Brown - Microsoft MVP <- profile - Windows Expert - Consumer : Bicycle <- Mark Twain said it right.

Rob Brown - Microsoft MVP - Windows and Devices for IT 2010 - current
Windows Insider MVP 2016 - current

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.