Question

Q: reinstall dvd\cd-rom drive on an acer aspire 4520

I had to do a full factory recovery on my acer aspire 4520, running on windows vista service pack 2. My dvd\cd-rom drive has been missing for months and thought the update would help. Still I can't seem to have this issue resolved. I really don't want to send it in to acer for a $200 repair. Device manager doesnt list and dvd\cd-rom drive or hardware. my laptop won't play or run any dvd\cd. The box lights up and makes noise like it's going to work, then theres nothing. I have run Microsofts fix it, and says the drive is missing. I run the hardware its says no hardware or drive detected. I go to acer to reinstall the drives, but they don't have the one i need listed, and recommend i send it in. Is there anyway i can reinstall the device and\or hardware? With out having to send it into acer? I'm willing to try and fix it, I just need someone with computer knowledge to help me with how and what to do. Thank you to anyone who trys to help!

Answer

A:

Hi,

Since you did a revision back to factory out-of-the-box state it sounds like the optical drive has failed or
there are other hardware issues.

Setup/Settings (BIOS/CMOS) often F2 as you boot so watch the screen - set the CD/DVD to first in the
boot order - then see if you can boot to a Windows or other boot disk to see if the drive works.

If the drive will not boot then you will need the help of a real computer shop (one that does its own in-house
sevice and not leeks and peeks at a Best Buy or other Big Box Stores) or Acer's Support.

Acer - USA - Service and Support - Drivers
http://us.acer.com/ac/en/US/content/support

Acer - Worldwide
http://www.acer.com/worldwide/selection.html

Hope this helps.

Rob Brown - Microsoft MVP <- profile - Windows Expert - Consumer : Bicycle <- Mark Twain said it right.

Rob Brown - Microsoft MVP - Windows and Devices for IT 2010 - current
Windows Insider MVP 2016 - current

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Views: 2,528 Last updated: May 2, 2018 Applies to: