Question

Q: Problem with erratic scrolling, possible virus, pages up and down automatically This thread is locked from future replies

My problem just started about a week ago, strangely enough after I uninstalled google toolbar from internet explorer.  When I try to left-click on web pages and scroll up or down, nothing happens, like its locked.  I can manually click the arrows to go up or down on a webpage.  Yet when I'm on a site with scroll down menus, it automatically scrolls up to the top.  In other words if I'm trying to select something in a scroll down menu i can't, it just goes up top.  Now the strangest thing of all is when I went to explore my mouse/touchpad settings in control panel.  As soon as I opened the pointer options under the mouse properties icon the pointer speed setting automatically went to the left to the slowest possible setting! When I click and drag it back to middle speed and then release the clicker it automatically goes back to the slowest.  This must be some type of scrolling virus, and it is affecting everything on my pc, please help! thanks for any answers

Answer

A:

Hello JohnC2424,

·         What type of a mouse are you using, is it a PS/2, USB or a wireless mouse?

·         Does this happen only with the Internet Explorer?

·         Do you have any software installed for the mouse?

If you have software that came with the mouse for managing mouse options, you will not be able to make changes to the mouse settings from the Mouse options from the control panel.

This could not be a virus that could be causing the issue.

Check out these options from the Mouse options:

Start Control Panel Mouse Buttons tab. For "Scroller", set to the following: Check the box labeled "Use MS Office compatible scroll only." Also, check the box below labeled "Scroll in active window only."

Also try with a different mouse.

If nothing works, try to uninstall and install the drivers for your mouse:

Go to the Device Manager and select your mouse. Uninstall it and then restart your computer. During restart, your mouse driver will automatically be reinstalled.

1.   Click on Start and type ‘Device Manager’.

2.   Click Device Manager.

3.   Click + sign next to Mouse.

4.   Right-click on mouse entry and choose "uninstall".

5.   Restart your computer.

Try these steps and let us know if it works.
Thanks,

Irfan H, Microsoft Answers Support Engineer. Visit our Microsoft Answers Feedback Forum and let us know what you think.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

270 people were helped by this reply

Question Info

Views: 140538 Last updated: February 16, 2018 Applies to: