printer wont install Error 1606 could not access network location %APPDATA%\

I'm getting the error as well.  I cannot install any microsoft updates, no HP, adobe and I can't install a printer that I once had installed.  I reinstalled the O/S a month ago and have been trying to add the programs I once ran on here with no issues but nothing will install and the error appears.

Question Info

Last updated July 20, 2018 Views 51,584 Applies to:
Answer
Answer

Hello irry,

Thank you for posting in the Microsoft Answers Forum.  This problem occurs because there are incorrect entries in the Shell folder of the user who is logged on to Microsoft Windows. When Windows Installer accesses the Shell folder assignment of the user who is logged on to the computer, Windows Installer cannot locate the correct entry.

The steps to correct this problem involve editing the Windows Registry.  Modifying REGISTRY settings incorrectly can cause serious problems that may prevent your computer from booting properly. Microsoft cannot guarantee that any problems resulting from the configuring of REGISTRY settings can be solved. Modifications of these settings are at your own risk.

Here are the steps to fix it.

1.     Click Start, click Run, type regedit in the Open box, and then click OK.

2.     Locate the following registry key:

3.     Delete the entries that show the path that is listed in the error message.

Let us know if this resolves your problem.

Thanks,

Jack

Jack
Microsoft Answers Support Engineer
Visit our Microsoft Answers Feedback Forum and let us know what you think.
Jack
Microsoft Answers Support Engineer
Visit our Microsoft Answers Feedback Forum and let us k

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.