NTVDM.exe stopped working

I'm running Vista Ultimate 32 bit on my system and I continually get a black window (similar to command prompt) with nothing in it but the hearder is  c\windows\system32\verclsid.exe and another dialog box that says: " NTVDM.exe has stopped working.  A problem caused the program to stop working correctly.  Windows will close the program and notify you if a solution is available."
The black box closes and then I have to press the close program button to get the NTVDM.exe box to disappear.  No solution is every displayed.
This happens went I launch any Microsoft program.  Explorer 7 or 8 , Word, Excel, Powerpoint (all 2007)..even when I type somthing in under the start search box in the Start system.   I know what NTVDM stands for but I haven't a clue why this box shows up.  Currently I'm running Firefox and don't have any problems with it launching the box.  Any help would be appreciated.

Question Info

Last updated October 20, 2019 Views 11,486 Applies to:
Answer
Answer

Jon Wetzel,
If System File Checker found errors but was unable to fix them then you do have corrupt system files and will need to do either a Startup Repair or re-install Vista.

Try the Startup Repair first:

If you have a Windows Vista installation disc, you need to restart (boot) your computer using the installation disc. If you do not restart your computer from the disc, the option to repair your computer will not appear.

If you have a Windows Vista installation disc:

1.  Insert the installation disc.

2.  Restart your computer.

Click the Start button , click the arrow next to the Lock button , and then click Restart.

3.  If prompted, press any key to start Windows from the installation disc.

Note: If your computer is not configured to start from a CD or DVD, check the information that came with your computer. You may need to change your computer's BIOS settings. For more information, see BIOS: frequently asked questions.

4.  Choose your language settings, and then click Next.

5.  Click Repair your computer.

6.  Select the operating system you want to repair, and then click Next.

7.  On the System Recovery Options menu, click Startup Repair. Startup Repair might prompt you to make choices as it tries to fix the problem, and if necessary, it might restart your computer as it makes repairs.

If Startup Repair is a preinstalled recovery option on your computer:

1.  Remove all floppy disks, CDs, and DVDs from your computer, and then restart your computer.

Click the Start button , click the arrow next to the Lock button , and then click Restart.

2.  Do one of the following:

• If your computer has a single operating system installed, press and hold the F8 key as your computer restarts. You need to press F8 before the Windows logo appears. If the Windows logo appears, you will need to try again by waiting until the Windows logon prompt appears, and then shutting down and restarting your computer.

• If your computer has more than one operating system, use the arrow keys to highlight the operating system you want to repair, and then press and hold F8.

3.  On the Advanced Boot Options screen, use the arrow keys to highlight Repair your computer, and then press ENTER. (If Repair your computer is not listed as an option, then your computer does not include Startup Repair as a preinstalled recovery option.)

4.  Select a keyboard layout, and then click Next.

5.  Select a user name and enter the password, and then click OK.

6.  On the System Recovery Options menu, click Startup Repair. Startup Repair might prompt you to make choices as it tries to fix the problem and, if necessary, it might restart your computer as it makes repairs.

Let us know if this solves your issue or if you need additional help.
Thank you,

Gloria
Microsoft Answers Support Engineer
Visit our Microsoft Answers Feedback Forum and let us know what you think.

2 people were helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Answer
Answer
Hello Jon Wetzel,

Thank you for using Microsoft Windows Vista Forums.

You can try using the System File Checker to find missing or corrupt files that may be causing this issue. Please let us know status.  Thanks!

The System File Checker tool To determine whether the issue that you are experiencing is caused by one or more system files that are used by Windows Vista, run the System File Checker tool. The System File Checker tool scans system files and replaces incorrect versions of the system files by using the correct versions.

To run the System File Checker tool, follow these steps:
  1. Click Start , and then type cmd in the Start Search box.
  2. Right-click cmd in the Programs list, and then click Run as administrator .

If you are prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type your password or click Continue
  3. At the command prompt, the following line, and then press ENTER:
    sfc /scannow

James Microsoft Answers Support Engineer Visit our Microsoft Answers Feedback Forum and let us know what you think.

9 people were helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.