Question

Q: "No Audio Output Device is Installed" after Vista SP2

I have combed these forums and others, and all the advice seems to be to Update drivers after finding the Sound Device in the Device Manager... Well...  I don't have a sound device anymore.   Device Manager has no 'Sound' category, Sound>Playback has 'No Audio devices installed.'   Somehow, by installing Vista SP2, my Laptop no longer knows it has built in speakers.  Plugging in headphones does nothing.  I'm using a Lenovo Y430, and SmAudio or Conextant is the program managing my audio.  When I boot up i get an Error from SmAudio that Coextant cannot find any audio devices on my system...  I'm ready to move to Mac after this, frankly.

Answer

A:

ShiftKeyDisaster,
Thank you for visiting the Microsoft Answers Community forum.

There are several things that could be causing this issue so we will work through them one at a time.  First of all, have you tried to uninstall the service pack that you think caused the problem?
To uninstall SP2

1.  Click the Start button , click Control Panel, and then click Programs.

2.  Under Programs and Features, click View installed updates.

3.  On the Uninstall an update page, click Service Pack for Microsoft‌ Windows (KB948465), and then click Uninstall.

4.  Follow the instructions on your screen.

If that does not work, try running System File Checker:
To run the System File Checker tool, follow these steps:
Click Start, and then type cmd in the Start Search box.
Right-click cmd in the Programs list, and then click Run as administrator.
If you are prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type your password or click Continue
At the command prompt, type the following line, and then press ENTER:
sfc /scannow
When the scan is complete, test to see whether the issue that you are experiencing is resolved.

After completing the system file scan, if it found corrupt files and fixed them, you will need to reboot the system and then try to reinstall your drivers for your sound device.  If device manager still does not see the sound device try running the scan for new hardware wizard.

Here are some other resources you can try if those things don't work:

Information about audio device drivers that are known to cause problems when you install Windows Vista service packs
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/971220

How to troubleshoot sound problems that you experience after you install a Windows Vista Service Pack
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/948481

A device driver is not installed or a hardware device does not function correctly after you install a Windows Vista Service Pack
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/948187

Please let us know if this helped or if you need further assistance.
Thank you,

Gloria
Microsoft Answers Support Engineer
Visit our Microsoft Answers Feedback Forum and let us know what you think.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Answer

A:

In an attempt to get back sound right away I used the Windows System Restore utility to the point right before installation of Vista SP2.  While this did work and bring back both sound and my sound device in the Device Manager, I consider it a temporary fix.  That is why I am please to see a few ideas here that I hadn't tried yet.  Thank you for the prompt response and once I feel up to it I'll be sure to attempt reinstalling Vista SP2 and trying your suggestions.  Thanks again.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Views: 3,593 Last updated: March 25, 2018 Applies to: