Question

Mouse pointer disappears on second monitor

fnotneyrod asked on

I have a HP Pavilion TX2000 laptop, running Vista Home Premium 64 bit, with an Acer 17 inch flatpanel as a second monitor.

After waking from sleep mode the mouse cursor is no longer visible on the secondary monitor. The cursor is actually active on that monitor, because you can see various buttons highlite as youu move the mouse around and if, "Show location of pointer when I press the CTRL key," is checked in the mouse properties, you can see where the pointer is, although the pointer itself is still not visible.

This happens with the touchpad or with an external mouse; with the monitor connected to the VGA port on the laptop or the VGA port on the docking station. I have the latest video drivers. Vista is up to date with SP1 and all other updates.

Oddly, if I have a Virtual PC window on the secondary monitor, the mouse cursor is visible in the virtual machine, but not in the screen space surrounding the VPC window.

There appear to be many other people with the same problem, using different combinations of hardware. The ususal work around is to enable "Pointer trails", which does sort of work, but causes other probelms, like stuttering and the loss of the cursor in text entry boxes.

This is a real pain, because the only way to get the pointer back is to reboot. Hopefully someone here has a solution. The problem is also carried over into Windows 7.

27 people had this question

Abuse history

The answered status icon Answer
Rami-- replied on

fnotneyrod, 

Although Microsoft works closely with many OEMs and 3d parties and had made efforts in providing compatibility with hundreds of devices and applications Microsoft does not guarantee the functionality of these devices or applications. It is the responsibility of the OEM/3rd party to provide drivers or updates for their products in order for them to work in Windows.

We recommend that you contact HP for assistance as this seems to be driver compatibility related.

Another option would be to test this situation under a 32-bit environment (many manufacturers offer more compatible drivers for 32bit type systems as they have been around longer).

Rami
Microsoft Answers Support Engineer
Visit our Microsoft Answers Feedback Forum and let us know what you think.
Rami
Be the first person to mark this helpful

Abuse history

progress