Mouse pointer disappears on second monitor when using dual displays.

The mouse pointer disappears on my second monitor when returning to my computer after leaving it sit idle for a few hours.  It appears the mouse is still active on the 2nd monitor, because you can see text and other object highlight when the "invisible" mouse passes over them, but the mouse pointer itself is not visible.  This is on a Compaq notebook running Windows 7 with NVidia driver.  I've updated the drivers to the latest as of Mar 2, 2010. I noticed from forums that many others are having similar problems.  One time, I clicked on the back button on Internet Explorer to go back to another page and the screen flickered dark for a few seconds, and the mouse worked on the 2nd monitor.  Otherwise rebooting is the only way to get  the mouse to work on the second screen, but it's annoying to have to reboot.
|
Answer
Answer

Hi Vogs,

• Have you done any recent changes done on the computer?
• Was it working fine earlier?

This is usually caused due to Nvidia display card installed on the computer.
I would suggest that you try the below steps

• Open Mouse Properties by clicking the Start button, and then clicking Control Panel. In the search box, type mouse, and then click Mouse
• Click the Pointer Options tab, and then do any of the following:
• Under Visibility, select the Display pointer trails check box, and then move the slider towards extreme Left so that the trails are the shortest.

Change mouse settings
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/Change-mouse-settings

If the above step fails then I would suggest that you uninstall the graphics card driver on the computer and later visit the graphic card manufacturer website later download and install the latest driver update for graphic card and check if everything is fine.

How to uninstall the graphics card driver on the machine.
1.       Click Start, click Control Panel, and then double-click System.
2.       Click the Hardware tab, and then click Device Manager.
NOTE:  If you are prompted for an administrator password or for confirmation, type the password, or click Continue.
3.       Click Display adapters to expand.
4.       Under Display adapter, double-click the entry for your Graphics card, and then click the Driver tab.
5.       Click Uninstall
6.       Follow the Uninstallation Wizard to uninstall the Graphics card driver.

Update a driver for hardware that isn't working properly
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows7/Update-a-driver-for-hardware-that-isnt-working-properly

Hope this helps!

Halima S    - Microsoft Support.
Visit our Microsoft Answers Feedback Forum and let us know what you think.

77 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated January 14, 2022 Views 89,649 Applies to: