Question

Q: Mouse Buttons not working with Windows 7

Just got back from vacation, everything worked prior to that but I try logging into windows and when prompted to select profile I am unable to, after a while I finally get it in but can't select anything on desktop either. After a while I start using my keyboard so I find out it isn't my PC that is freezing or anything as it works fine, I then switch out my mouse for another one and get the same thing. Basically the cursor works, but when I click open areas/icons or just click on buttons I get no response, same with right click, I have had some moments for a few minutes where it worked, but have really no idea why it works and why it doesnt.

What works changes everytime I restart apparently.  One time I restart and the left and right click mouse buttons were full functional on taskbar but nothing else, right now they don't work on taskbar/any open programs but can click on anything on desktop and open

Both were wired mouses, I mainly use G5 wired mouse, updated set point drivers and still got same result

Answer

A:

Hi MJKR,

Try the following steps and check the result.
Step 1: Check in safe mode
a. See Start your computer in safe mode
b. Login to the problem user account and check if the issue persists.

Step 2: If the issue doesn't persist in safe mode, then try clean boot
a. Open the article: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929135
b. From the article, follow "Step 1: Perform a clean boot" Executing these steps will disable all the non Microsoft programs running on the computer.
c. Check if the issue persists.
d. If the issue does not persist in clean boot, it means that some non Microsoft program is causing the issue.
e. To find out the program that's causing the issue, try "Step 2: Enable half of the services" to "Step 6: Resolve the problem"
f. Once you find the culprit, check if there are any updates or patches for the program. If you find any, install them and check the difference or reinstall the latest program.
g. From the article, follow "Step 7: Reset the computer to start as usual"

Step 3: If the issue still persists, restore the computer to an earlier time
a. Click Start, type system restore in the Start Search box, and then click System Restore in the Programs list.
If you are prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type your password or click Continue.
b. In the System Restore dialog box, click Choose a different restore point, and then click Next.
c. In the list of restore points, click a restore point that was created before you began to experience the issue, and then click Next.
d. Click Finish.
e. Restart the computer and check if the issue persists.

See What is System Restore?

Visit our Microsoft Answers Feedback Forum and let us know what you think.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Views: 38,697 Last updated: July 12, 2018 Applies to: