I have been using the Microsoft Bluetooth Notebook Mouse 5000 with my Sony VAIO notebook running Vista Home Premium for nearly 6 months. A couple of days ago, I was transferring a file from my notebook to my phone via bluetooth while the mouse was connected.
During this operation, the mouse cursor began to move eradically in the general direction to which I was pointing the mouse. It was sluggish and choppy in following my movements. I had noticed this behavior in previous instances, all while my phone and pc
were communicating via bluetooth. To correct this issue on all other occassions, I would simply turn off the bluetooth mouse until the transfer had completed and then turn it back on and it would perform as expected. On this occassion, I mistakenly hit the
discoverable button on the bottom of the mouse instead of the power switch. The mouse went into to discoverable mode, indicated by the alternating flashes of red and green from the battery indicator light, and the cursor stopped responding. I then switched
off the mouse and turned it back on, expecting its performance to return to normal. However, it still was unresponsive. I tried to re-add the mouse using the bluetooth devices wizard, but as the wizard searches for devices the mouse is not discovered, despite
it being in discoverable mode. So, I repaired my bluetooth drivers that came with the notebook, but no change. Interestingly, in the device manager under mice, listed are my touchpad and a hid-compliant mouse, though I do not have another mouse connected.
When I switch off my bluetooth power, this device disappears from the device manager and reappears when the power is turned back on, despite the bluetooth mouse not being powered on. I can still communicate with my phone via bluetooth, but not the mouse. Microsoft
is sending me a new mouse, but I do not expect this to resolve the problem, as I think it is a software issue. Does anyone have any ideas? If you require more information, I can certainly do that...
I had the same issue last year on a Dell XT; MS sent me a new BT 5000 mouse and still had the issue. I gave up and many months later and unknown updates, the unit worked again. Today I tried using it on another laptop and worked fine. I went back to my XT
and the flashing red (discoverable mode) light is back. Now it will not pair with either PC. I believe the issue is with the mouse it self. It somehow gets confused and stock in a mode that is really not "discoverable" either bc no BT device can find it. Removing
the batt for extended time does NOT reset either. I finally did get it to work but not sure which step fixed the issue but this is what I did: Disconnected (de-activated) BT on PC, held discover button on mouse while turning power off, removed batt from the
mouse. Enabled BT on PC and began search for BT devices, replaced batt in mouse and powered on, pressed discover button on mouse (the PC still searching for a device), and it showed up! I selected it and the red light stopped blinking and has been working
Note that I tried everything back several months ago on various versions of BT hosts running on XP pro with no luck. I'm now using Win7 and this procedure was done on a Win7 OS PC which appears to be more stable. Hope this helps someone; sorry i could not
be more exact on what the issue may be; I still don't know! :)