Intellitype Pro 7.0 does not recognize media keys when using 3rd party programs

When using Intellitype Pro 7.0 the media keys on my Wireless Laser Keyboard 6000 no longer work like they did in version 6.31. Essentially when using the keys to play, pause or skip tracks they no longer work when the program you want to control is in the background. For iTunes the keys work if you have the window on top but if you're playing a game or using a browser and try to pause or skip a track that is currently playing nothing happens.  This bug exists in both Vista and Windows 7. Workaround in Vista is to just not use version 7.0 of the program but in Windows 7 it is the only compatible version.

Side note: Despite the program being correctly set to Wireless Laser Keyboard 6000 v2.0, the Devices and Printers window in Windows 7 says its a Wireless Laser Keyboard 5000. Also all of these issues existed in beta, RC and RTM versions of Windows 7 x64 and Vista Ultimate x64.

Question Info

Last updated March 25, 2018 Views 11,617 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

I had the same problem with Winamp and I just found out that there's a 'Fix' on Winamp's site.
It's 4 executable files that you manually assign to the play/pause, next track, previous track, stop buttons by choosing 'Start a program' option in your intellipro window.
here's the link : Winamp Controllers (for IntellitType based keyboards) . (This is a direct download linked from winamp's site or go to
http://forums.winamp.com/showthread.php?threadid=155680 and look for the
Multimedia Keyboard Support )

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Same problem here.  I'm using Foobar2000 on Windows 7 Pro x64, and the media keys try to bring up Windows Media Player, even when Foobar2000 is the active window!  It was working fine until I installed Intellitype 7.10.344 so I could use the "1-5" shortcut keys on my Microsoft Keyboard Elite for Bluetooth. 

These are very popular 3rd party programs, especially ITunes.  It's hard to believe the Intellitype team would be unaware of their existence or capabilities.  Maybe they just didn't do a good job testing.  For now I guess I'll just uninstall Intellitype and pin my "1-5" programs on the taskbar.

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi David,

Connect.microsoft.com doesn't appear to have a "Connection" or whatever for Intellitype or keyboards/mice in general.  Searching for "Intellitype" on that website just yields a lot of results for Visual Studio which only mention Intellitype in passing.  I submitted a comment to the Feedback link at "http://www.microsoft.com/hardware/support/default.mspx", but that doesn't gather your email or anything, so there's no way for them to tell me if there is an answer.  Is there a forum that the Intellitype people will read, or can they be alerted to this issue through internal Microsoft channels?

Sorry this didn't help.

Try using foobar2000 v1.0, it solves this problem (no thanks to the broken IntelliType software!).

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi freecom,

I am using foobar2000 v1.0.  Did you install Intellitype before or after installing foobar?  I'm probably not going to bother with it anymore at this point anyway, because the only thing I'm missing is the keyboard shortcut key functionality, which I've simply replaced by pinning those frequently used programs to the Win7 task bar.

Sorry this didn't help.

Before - Intellitype 7.0 64 bit, then later on foobar2000 v1.0. Works absolutely as it did in the old IntelliType versions (before it was broken!). No changes or adjustments to the foobar preferences. It's worth it - it's so incredibly useful to have all the shortcuts working as they used to.

Sorry this didn't help.

I got the craziest fix but it seems to work first off on my system it appears something makes itype.exe crash and through task mgr I can kill it and reload it and it will work.

So I installed a proggie I didn't use for awhile and it fixed the issue.  Netcaptor. site says this is version 7.54 and because he went out of biz you can get a key from his site www.netcaptor.com  and a key he posted on the site is below .. Hope this helps some helped me out.

BBLdOxhx2bovHIQ0pVZjaiTWmAuEjmPOUM3tsFTcNzb4kjXdiq0
P+wsLJp4BBuNKtYYyKyAuRRgp8h=REQ+7f2h3PfFIoZFH91P5On
6eppScyJ560Xjr1z9dQDcLj43LACA496IEz+jNAVeEOT7RfWph5
7tCk6ajYmLEFc5ODjy 

Download:
http://download.netcaptor.com/ncsetup.a1014.exe
http://dl-sh-ocn-1.pchome.net/01/6c/ncsetup.a1024.zip

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi,

first off, sorry for bumping such an old thread. Unfortunately this is the closest I've been to finding an answer to this issue. I just bought the MS Ergonomical Keyboard 4000, great keyboard, but the media keys are driving me crazy. With iType open/active the play/pause button somehow opens Windows Media Player, though, if you press it a second time it works correctly and pauses my media player (Spotify). If I close iType the play/pause button works as intended from the first press, but then I loose funconality of the favorites keys and other. Hence that isn't a very good solution.

IntelliType: 7.61 x64 edition

Any answer is gratefully appreciated :)

Some say ...
Some say ...

Sorry this didn't help.

I'm glad this forum is still open, too, because I have a different media problem. I am running XP sp3, the Microsoft Wireless Keyboard 6000 v3.0 with the Microsoft Wireless Laser Mouse 6000 v.2.0 and Intellipoint 3.0 right off the disk that came with them. The driver update finder says there is no newer version. My problem is with video. For example, I was just trying to watch the finale of Glee from FOX and, although the sound worked perfectly well, the video wouldn't advance unless I moved the mouse pointer back and forth over the video window all through the program  - and the picture was jerky, not smooth. I have installed all the latest Flash updates and I think I have all the latest codecs, too. The same kind of thing happens with YouTube about 95% of the time.

Any thoughts?

Sorry this didn't help.

Yeah, I am glad this thread is still open.

I have Wireless Entertainment 8000 and when I have intellitype 7.1 (64-bit) installed, my media keys won't work whether itunes is in background or not. But when I have intellitype uninstalled, it works fine. 

When I had a 32-bit system, it worked fine on intellitype 7.1 32bit. I upgraded to 64bit without knowing how set-back the system is T_T

Sorry this didn't help.