Question

HP Photosmart Printer Software Installation Failure

Bill Maxwell asked on

I had similar problems to others in this forum with HP Photosmart software installation failure. After several days of struggle, I now have a solution which may benefit others with an Intel based system.

Problem as submitted to HP Chat: The all-in-one Photosmart printer C309g-m software fails to install on my Vista-64 bit Lenova notebook with Intel Core 2 processor. No problem with installation on a Win-XP PC and a Vista-32 bit notebook. Printer is operating wirelessly from a home network router with no problems. But when I try to install on the Vista-64, near the beginning of the installation I get an error message referencing file “hpzprl40.exe –m preloads drivers inf”, that says “%1 is not a valid Win32 application” and the installation fails.  In the error report generated for HP, it describes it as “error situation code 12348410”. I followed the HP wizard for removal of the software, rebooting computer and router, and re-tried installation (several times) both from the DVD and from the downloaded software with the same result. Attempt to install just the basic drivers also gives same result. Norton Anti-Virus was disabled in each case, and I tried installation with Norton system firewall on and off. Norton complete system scan revealed no viruses, but the usual spyware cookies. 

I spent a couple of hours on the chat line with two very patient HP personnel. After going through all the logical steps, we were unsuccessful, and agreed that it must be an operating system problem with Vista-64. That led me to this forum.

Another user's post on this forum about a fix on his Acer by installing the AMD USB filter driver was a very helpful clue. So I started looking for a similar driver for an Intel based system. At the Intel Support driver download site, I ran their utility to scan my computer for driver updates needed. It found the Intel chipset driver and the WiFi link driver needed updating, although the computer was less than a year old. After downloading and installing both, the Photosmart software installation went amazingly smooth on the first try. (All Photosmart software from previous attempts had been removed before starting the installation). 

8 people had this question

Abuse history

progress