how to update windows system32\drivers\GEARAspiWDM.sys

Recently download Windows Esentials and since then have encountered a problem with my iTunes program not being able to burn CD's. After a search I have found someone who had the same issue and found that a system32 file was missing. How can I put this problem right.

The file that are missing are                     c:\windows\system32\drivers\GEARAspiWDM.sys

c:\windows\system32\drivers\GEARAspi.dll

Can anyone help

Hey,

POSSIBLE SOLUTION:

Should any annoyed soul who had this problem recently care to understand how this problem was solved, here you go:

SYSTEM CONFIGURATION:

* Windows XP
* iTunes 7.5

ERRORS & CODES:

* Type: Error; Event ID: 7026; Source: Service Control Manager; Description: The following boot-start or system-start drivers failed to load...Cdrom, imapi, redbook
* Type: Warning; Event ID: 263; Source: PlugPlayManager; Description: The service "apple mobile device" may not have unregistered

With that background in place, I basically had a totally inoperative CD-ROM; in fact, Windows did not even recognize that I had a CD-ROM drive whatsoever.

So, after much trial and error, I discovered the root of the problem. In the process of (a) installing iTunes and (b) attempting to uninstall it after it didn't work, it appears that iTunes didn't really complete the uninstallation procedure correctly.

What iTunes forgot to do was remove the "GEAR driver" which basically helps iTunes burn & rip from the CD-ROM. So, what I had to do was *manually remove the GEAR drivers*. Here's how I did it:

==================
Manual Removal – 32-bit
Vista, Server 2003, Windows XP and Windows 2000

WARNING: Modifying the registry can cause serious problems that may require you to reinstall your operating system.
We cannot guarantee that problems resulting from modifications to the registry can be solved. Use the information provided at your own risk.

Select Run... in the START menu, and type in regedit
This will start up the Registry Editor.

Delete the following key from the registry:
HKEYLOCALMACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\GearAspiWDM

If present, delete the following key from the registry:
HKEYLOCALMACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\GEARSecurity

In the HKEYLOCALMACHINE\SYSTEM\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-0 8002BE10318} key:
remove the GEARAspiWDM entry in the UpperFilters value. Note that the entries in this value are double byte.

In the HKEYLOCALMACHINE\SYSTEM\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{6D807884-7D21-11CF-801C-0 8002BE10318} key:
remove the GEARAspiWDM entry in the UpperFilters value. Note that the entries in this value are double byte.

In the HKEYLOCALMACHINE\SYSTEM\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{CE5939AE-EBDE-11D0-B181-0 000F8753EC4} key:

Reboot

Delete GearAspi.dll from Windows\System32 folder

If present, delete Gearsec.exe from Windows\System32 folder

Delete GearAspiWDM.sys from Windows\System32\Drivers folder

Delete the Windows\System32\GEARAspi.dll value from the HKEYLOCALMACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\SharedDLLs registry key

Delete the Windows\System32\Gearsec.exe value from the HKEYLOCALMACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\SharedDLLs registry key

If present, delete the Windows\System32\Drivers\GearAspiWDM.sys value from the HKEYLOCALMACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\SharedDLLs registry key

Reboot

3 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

thanks for this is,  there chance you could direct me to an idiot proof way of dealing with these files.It seems really complicated and I am concerned that I could screw up my system registry files by mistake. Also, I am running windows vista is the format the same as for xp.

Thanks,

Pete

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I know this link is a Year and a Half old but I want to share to you guys my knowledge about this problem.

To start with, your iTunes has this GEARAspiWDM.sys and GEARAspi.dll installed on your PC. When these files are removed, iTunes will look for it and it will really get you pissed because you might not be able to burn or to see your CD/DVD drive. What to do is to Uninstall your iTunes using the Microsoft Fix It Uninstaller so that Registry Keys will also be removed:
http://go.microsoft.com/?linkid=9779673

How to uninstall using Microsoft Fix It Uninstaller:
- Run MicrosoftFixit.ProgramInstallUninstall.Run.exe
- On popup window, select Accept
On this part, MS Fix It will install
- On popup window, select 'Detect problems and apply the fixes for me (Recommended)'
- On the next window, select 'Uninstalling'
- On the next window, select 'Apple Application Support' and click Next button
- On the next window, select 'Yes, try uninstall'
On this part, the Registry keys and the program for 'Apple Application Support' will be removed.
- Click Next until you end up completing the uninstall.

Next is to run again the MS FixIt Uninstaller and uninstall the other iTunes components:
Apple Mobile Device Support
Apple Software Update
Bonjour
iTunes
QuickTime (Disregard if not found)

Then reboot. Another issue is that you might have installed the inappropriate iTunes for your Windows. I mean the 32 and 64 Bit architecture. Make sure you install 32-Bit iTunes to 32-Bit OS and 64-Bit iTunes for 64-Bit OS. That also caused the problem you are facing because of its incapability to burn due to the OS Architecture requirement.

32-Bit iTunes

64-Bit iTunes

Reference:
Driver Finder Pro

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated October 30, 2020 Views 13,575 Applies to: