Gateway laptop: Plugged in, not charging

I bought my Gateway laptop in January. Randomly last night it said "Plugged in, not charging" on the battery meter. I know this is NOT an issue with Gateway because I have googled this issue and the common problems seems to be Vista. I tried following these four steps that some have claimed work

Click Start and type device in the search field, then select Device Manager .

Expand the Batteries category.

Under the Batteries category, right-click the Microsoft ACPI Compliant Control Method Battery listing, and select Uninstall .

WARNING: Do not remove the Microsoft AC Adapter driver or any other ACPI compliant driver.

On the Device Manager taskbar, click Scan for hardware changes .

Alternately, select Action > Scan for hardware changes .

Windows will scan your computer for hardware that doesn't have drivers installed, and will install the drivers needed to manage your battery's power. The notebook should now indicate that the battery is charging."

but I didn't have much luck with that at all. I really need someone to tell me how to fix this problem because the fact that this has clearly been a big issue for Vista users everywhere over the past 2 or so years is completely unacceptable and honestly I'm getting really annoyed with the issue. So please help me with this Vista problem and I know for a fact its not a problem with Gateway because it's a practically new computer.

Question Info

Last updated August 12, 2018 Views 110,213 Applies to:
Answer

Here is what I've done and it worked for me:

first 2 steps as you have written

step 3: instead of uninstall, I've selected disable. I've waited for 2-3 minutes and enabled is again.

Once I've enabled, it started to charge.

I can't guarantee it will work for everyone, but it worked for me. Give a try and let me know if it worked. 

31 people were helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.