Fixing a 0x00000643 error with printer installation

I am running Windows Vista on a laptop and am trying to install a wireless printer.  I get the error 0x00000643.  I went to the windows support center and performed all of the work arounds that it suggested.  The WSD port was removed, but every time I try to install the printer it fails and the WSD port returns.  When the WSD port is deleted the installation fails with no code.  I previously had this printer installed so it worked before.  Any ideas?

Question Info

Last updated August 9, 2018 Views 85,587 Applies to:
Answer
Hi Moyerhouse,

Thank you for visiting Microsoft Answers.

a) Did you make any changes on the computer prior to this issue?
b) Who is the manufacturer of the printer?

I would first suggest you to run the "Fix it" tool from Microsoft that automatically diagnoses and repairs problems with printing, installing a printer, connecting to a network printer, and other related errors.

Troubleshoot printer problems
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-vista/Troubleshoot-printer-problems

Let' also install the latest drivers of the printer from the manufacturer's website and check if it helps.

OR

You may also uninstall the printer by using Network Explorer and install it back. To do this, follow these steps:
Open the Network and Sharing Center. To do this,type Network and Sharing Center in the Start Search box, and then click Network and Sharing Center in the Programs list.
In the Tasks pane, click View Computers and Devices.
Locate the printer, and then right-click the printer to uninstall it.
After the printer is uninstalled, connect the printer to the computer again. The Plug and Play service begins to install the printer.

Refer:
Error message when you try to install a WSD printer on a Windows Vista-based computer after the first installation attempt fails: "Operation could not be completed (error 0x00000643)"
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/944960

Hope the information helps. Please post back and let us know.
Regards
Debleena S
Microsoft Answers Support Engineer.
Visit our Microsoft Answers Feedback Forum and let us know what you think.

3 people were helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.