External hard drive file access denied?

My old notebook crashed so I took out my hard drive and put it in a NexStar 2.5 enclosure.  I was running XP Home on my old notebook but the new notebook I bought has Vista Home Basic. 
I cannot get any of my picture files or music library to open.  Every time it tells me that I do not have permission.  I have tried opening each folder and file separately and changing the security authorization, but it still will not open them.  I just get the same "permission denied" warning.
PLEASE HELP!!!!!!!!!!!

Question Info

Last updated May 9, 2019 Views 39,416 Applies to:
Answer
Answer
Hi Zuma1978,

You may need to modify the permissions of the folders and/or files. Please refer to the link listed below for more information about this:

Folder and file permissions

Here are the steps to modify ownership and permissions:

1. Right-click the file or folder, click Properties, and then click the Security tab.
    2. Click Advanced, and then click the Owner tab.
    3. Click Edit, and then do one of the following:

·         To change the owner to a user or group that is not listed, click Other users and groups and, in Enter the object name to select (examples), type the name of the user or group, and then click OK.

·         To change the owner to a user or group that is listed, in the Change owner to box, click the new owner.

4.       If you want to take ownership of the contents of the folder, select the Replace owner on subcontainers and objects check box.

5.       Click OK, and then click Yes when you receive the following message:

You do not have permission to read the contents of directory folder name. Do you want to replace the directory permissions with permissions granting you Full Control?

All permissions will be replaced if you click Yes.

Note folder name is the name of the folder that you want to take ownership of.

6.       Click OK, and then reapply the permissions and security settings that you want for the folder and its contents.

Additional considerations

• An administrator can take ownership of any file on the computer.
    • Assigning ownership of a file or a folder might require you to elevate your permissions using User Access Control.

I hope these steps help. Please get back to us with your results so that we can further assist you if need be.

Brian
Microsoft Answers Support Engineer
Visit our Microsoft Answers Feedback Forum and let us know what you think.
Brian

3 people were helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.