Error Installing Brother Printer HL-3075cw on a vista 32 bit "error 0x000000704 specified port unknown"

I have a new brother HL-3075cw printer that will not install "error 0x00000704 specified port unknown" on one of my computers using Vista. One laptop with Vista and a desktop with W7 installed just fine.

We have a brother mono laser that works just fine on the laptop in question.

Brother of course says it is a Windows problem and will no longer assist me.

It will not load drivers peer to peer or USB either, it hangs halfway.

I dloaded the drivers from brother website it did not work. I have used the brother website removal tool to remove previous brother drivers before trying new.

I tried this info that I found on another website and my laptop already has the specified info. I checked the other Vista laptop and cannot find anything different on it than the other one that will not finish installing. Both 32 bit.

“Start the Windows Registry Editor with [Windows R], [regedit] and [enter]. Now navigate to the following Registry key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/System/CurrentControlSet/Control/Print/Monitors

Check if a subkey with the name USB Monitor exists. If not create it by right-clicking Monitors and selecting New > Key. Name that key USB Monitor.

Now right-click in the right pane and select New > String Value from the menu. Enter Driver as the name. Double-click driver and enter usbmon.dll as the value.

Now restart your computer and perform the printer installation again. The installation should go through without problems now and the error message the specified port is unknown should not appear.”

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Answer
Answer

Ok I found a weird work around. I failed to mention in my first post that I tried to "add" a printer with no luck before.

Now with the weird or better defined pain in the behind.

I tried to install just the USB choice and it seemed to freeze again, well I had to "ctrl-alt-del" the install shield window. Then I looked in the printer file and it showed that the printer was there in USB001, I tried to print with no luck. Then I disconnected the USB cable and my laptop made the disconnect windows sound. I plugged it back in and it made the connected sound. I went to print and it printed this time.

So I tried to run the peer to peer install again with no luck, I thought if it was there with the USB now it might work, it did not. so I thought I would try to add a printer again through printer "add printer>wireless". I chose custom at the first prompt but did not change anything and lo and behold it showed 2 3075 printers one USB one wireless and it printed through the wireless network.

I have no idea if it will last but there it is.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated May 27, 2019 Views 2,180 Applies to: