Epson scanner stopped working.

I recently bought an ASUS Essentio CG5290 computer which uses a 64-bit system.  A couple of weeks later I bought an Epson Workforce 600 multiprinter.  I know for sure the Epson multiprinter works perfectly fine because I've used it on my old Dell Dimension 4600 computer which uses Windows XP (I suspect uses a 32-bit system).  When connected to my ASUS computer, which uses Windows Vista, everything works fine until I try to use the scanner.  When I click on the EpsonScan icon I immediately get a Microsoft Windows Message saying "Epson Scan has stopped working."  A few seconds later it gives me another message saying "A problem caused the program to stop working correctly.  Windows will close the program and notify you if a solution is available."  I never have received a "solution".  I've tried everything from uninstalling and re-installing the printer software to downloading Windows Vista Service Pack 2.  There are downloads available for the ASUS BIOS from the manufacturer but I have to purchase the WinZip software to download it.  I'm nervous about messing around with the BIOS.  I suspect my printer scanner problem has something to do with the ASUS having a 64-bit OS versus the printer's twain_32 compliant system.  I do qualify for the Windows 7 free upgrade when it is released to the public in October '09.  Will this solve the problem?  My ASUS has every Microsoft Windows update as of this writing.  I'm not very computer literate so any advise is greatly appreciated!

Question Info

Last updated March 4, 2019 Views 1,974 Applies to:
Answer
Answer
Did you obtain the Vista 64 drivers from Epsom first, and install as per Epsom requirements, which is generally to install software / drivers prior to connecting the printer

PS You dont need to purchase winzip in order to upgrade the bios, but then neither is a bios update likely to help

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.