DVD/CD-ROM driver failure to initialize

My DVD-CD/ROM driver keeps failing to initialize on turn-on.  Device Manager says the driver is there but it does not initialize, hence will not read or write.  This is on an eMachines T3642 that came bundled with Vista Home Premium.  The supplied operating system CD is available but will not (obviously) read.  Sysem Restore does not help me...earliest restore point is 22 September 2009 and several different restore dates do not help.

eMachines support does not provide answers on products out of warranty.  This bundle was purchased in January 2008, has worked okay with several old and a few new programs and hardware added since then.

According to Vista diagnostics via Device Manager, the driver failure yields error code 37.  The driver date is 6/21/2006, version 6.0.6002.18005,

Quandry:  ANYTHING new loaded in via CD-ROM cannot load because the drive cannot read it.     :-(
The one diagnostic available from MS (on another window) will not download. (?)

Color me irritated and frustrated (not a good fashion these days).  Please help.

Sincerely, Len Anderson

Question Info

Last updated August 28, 2018 Views 16,455 Applies to:
Answer
Hello AF6AY,

Have you tried uninstalling the dvd drive via the device manager then rebooting PC to see if Windows reinstalls it? Please do so. If the problem is still there, can give this a try? This is an easy quick fix from Microsoft, here is the Link: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314060. You will need to uninstall any third party software (example: Roxio, Nero, or iTunes) from your computer before doing this fix. After you reboot, you can reinstall your software and try again to see if this fixes your issue. Otherwise it might be a bad drive optical drive. Hope this helps you. Let us know either way. Make it a great day!

"And In The End The Love You Take, Is Equal To The Love You Make" (The Beatles last song from thier last album, Abbey Road.)
"In the End The Love You Take, Is Equal To The Love You Make"

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.