DVD-RW Drive won't detect DVD - how to fix?

I have a HP dv7t-1000 laptop with Vista Home Premium (x64 version), and recently replaced its optical drive because the old one maybe faulty and won't read any CD or DVD disks.  The new one (HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GSA-T50N ATA Device) reads CDs fine (music and picture CDs), but won't read DVDs.  After I put in a DVD, it would spin but the Windows Media Center/Play DVD would say it "can not detect a video DVD in the DVD drive.  Insert a video DVD in the drive".  And the HP Quick Play (Play DVD) won't play either, and its sources of DVD lists only C:/ Drive and D:/ HP_Recovery, but not the E:/ DVD Drive although which is showing under Start/Computer.  I have downloaded Windows Media Player Codec 3.9 and deleted UPPER_Filters in the registry, but the problem still exists.  What else should I do to fix this problem?  Thanks in advance.

Answer
Answer

Hi,

1. Are you unable to play any DVD?
2. What happens when you try to open the DVD drive from Computer?

Try these steps:

Step 1: Download and run the diagnostic tool from the link below:

Your CD or DVD drive can’t read or write media
http://support.microsoft.com/gp/cd_dvd_drive_problems

Step 2: Check if there is a firmware update available for your DVD drive on the manufacturer’s website. Download and install the same.

Step 3: This issue can also occur if the DVD decoder is not installed or updated.

I would suggest you to run the Windows Media Player DVD troubleshooter if you are trying to play DVDs in Windows Media Player and check if it helps you fix this issue.
Open the Windows Media Player DVD troubleshooter

Also have a look at the following Microsoft Windows article links:
Codecs: frequently asked questions

MPEG and DVD video: frequently asked questions

Regards,
Afzal Taher - Microsoft Support.
Visit our
Microsoft Answers Feedback Forum and let us know what you think.

2 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated February 26, 2024 Views 8,496 Applies to: