Question

Q: DVD burner is recognized but cannot burn files This thread is locked from future replies

I am working on a friends computer and had to do a restore point to correct another problem.  After the restore point, everything works except his DVD/CD burner.  I can install a blank DVD or CD and Windows recognizes it and tells me I need to format it.  I format it and give it a name and it accepts it. I can put this disc into another computer and it shows the name I gave it and I can use the disc in the other computer.  I put the disc into his computer and it shows the disc with the name I gave it, but I cannot copy any files to it.  It does not show the Burn Files option when I select files and if I try to copy them or drag them to the DVD burner, nothing happens.  The paste function is greyed out when I select the DVD burner.  I can read files off other discs.  I have tried uninstalling the DVD/CD drive and reinstalling the driver.  I have uninstalled the IDE controller and reinstalled the driver.  Nothing seems to correct this problem.  The computer is an HP Pavillion Slimline s3200t with a built in DVD/CD burner Model HL-DT-ST DVD-RW GSA-H60L.  He is running Windows Vista Home Premium with SP2. This drive did work normally prior to using the Restore Point.  I have not found any issues similar to this in the help forums.  Please help.  Thank you.

Answer

A:

Working yes, but not working correctly. Check with the myce forums and try the methods above
as sometimes running through those will kick start a CD/DVD back to working properly. As I said
a CD/DVD is 4 drives in 1 and one or more parts can fail separately of the rest.

Have you added any CD/DVD software lately? What antivirus/antispyware/securiy programs have
EVER been on the system - those and remnants of past installed ones can cause strange issues.

Maybe some sort of system corruption :

Do  these to clear corruption and repair/replace damaged/missing system files.

Run DiskCleanup - Start - All Programs - Accessories - System Tools - Disk Cleanup

Start - type in Search box -  COMMAND   find at top of list -  RIGHT CLICK  -  RUN AS ADMIN

sfc /scannow

How to analyze the log file entries that the Microsoft Windows Resource Checker (SFC.exe) program
generates in Windows Vista cbs.log
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/928228

Then run checkdisk - schedule it to run at next start and then Apply OK your way out then restart.

How to Run Check Disk at Startup in Vista
http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/67612-check-disk-chkdsk.html

Rob Brown - MS MVP - Windows Desktop Experience : Bicycle - Mark Twain said it right.
Rob Brown - Microsoft MVP - Windows and Devices for IT 2010 - current
Windows Insider MVP 2016 - current

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Views: 3,231 Last updated: March 25, 2018 Applies to: