DVD burner is recognized but cannot burn files

I am working on a friends computer and had to do a restore point to correct another problem.  After the restore point, everything works except his DVD/CD burner.  I can install a blank DVD or CD and Windows recognizes it and tells me I need to format it.  I format it and give it a name and it accepts it. I can put this disc into another computer and it shows the name I gave it and I can use the disc in the other computer.  I put the disc into his computer and it shows the disc with the name I gave it, but I cannot copy any files to it.  It does not show the Burn Files option when I select files and if I try to copy them or drag them to the DVD burner, nothing happens.  The paste function is greyed out when I select the DVD burner.  I can read files off other discs.  I have tried uninstalling the DVD/CD drive and reinstalling the driver.  I have uninstalled the IDE controller and reinstalled the driver.  Nothing seems to correct this problem.  The computer is an HP Pavillion Slimline s3200t with a built in DVD/CD burner Model HL-DT-ST DVD-RW GSA-H60L.  He is running Windows Vista Home Premium with SP2. This drive did work normally prior to using the Restore Point.  I have not found any issues similar to this in the help forums.  Please help.  Thank you.

Question Info

Last updated August 22, 2018 Views 3,285 Applies to:
Answer

Working yes, but not working correctly. Check with the myce forums and try the methods above
as sometimes running through those will kick start a CD/DVD back to working properly. As I said
a CD/DVD is 4 drives in 1 and one or more parts can fail separately of the rest.

Have you added any CD/DVD software lately? What antivirus/antispyware/securiy programs have
EVER been on the system - those and remnants of past installed ones can cause strange issues.

Maybe some sort of system corruption :

Do  these to clear corruption and repair/replace damaged/missing system files.

Run DiskCleanup - Start - All Programs - Accessories - System Tools - Disk Cleanup

Start - type in Search box -  COMMAND   find at top of list -  RIGHT CLICK  -  RUN AS ADMIN

sfc /scannow

How to analyze the log file entries that the Microsoft Windows Resource Checker (SFC.exe) program
generates in Windows Vista cbs.log
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/928228

Then run checkdisk - schedule it to run at next start and then Apply OK your way out then restart.

How to Run Check Disk at Startup in Vista
http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/67612-check-disk-chkdsk.html

Rob Brown - MS MVP - Windows Desktop Experience : Bicycle - Mark Twain said it right.
Rob Brown - Microsoft MVP - Windows and Devices for IT 2010 - current
Windows Insider MVP 2016 - current

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.