Converting 232GB external Hard Drive from NTFS to FAT32.

I Have already tried a bunch of free programs and ones that other people say are free everytime i go to apply the changes it says u need to buy the program before any changes can be made. I tryed cmd prompt but it said the volume was to large to convert to FAT32. I tryed using the windows help and they give me the steps but when i select the options it only gives me exFAT and NTFS. this is all for an external HD to use with my PS3 and it only reads FAT32. if anyone can help me i would appreciate it.
|
Answer
Answer

FAT32 has size limitations. You cannot create a FAT32 partition greater than 32GB in some version of Windows , and you cannot store a file larger than 4GB on a FAT32 partition.

NTFS

NTFS is the preferred file system for this version of Windows . It has many benefits over the earlier FAT32 file system, including:

• The capability to recover from some disk-related errors automatically, which FAT32 cannot.

• Improved support for larger hard disks.

• Better security because you can use permissions and encryption to restrict access to specific files to approved users.

FAT32

FAT32, and the lesser-used FAT, were used in earlier versions of Windows operating systems, includingWindows  95,Windows  98, andWindows  Millennium Edition. FAT32 does not have the security that NTFS provides, so if you have a FAT32 partition or Volume on your computer, any user who has access to your computer can read any file on it.

If this post helps to resolve your issue, please click the "Mark as Answer" If you find it helpful , Mark it as helpful by clicking on "Helpful" button at the top of this message. By marking a post as Answered, or Helpful you help others find the answer faster.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Answer
Answer
To format a hard disk partition with FAT32
  1. To open Computer Management, click Start , and then click Control Panel . Click System and Maintenance , click Administrative Tools , and then double-click Computer Management .

2. In the Navigation pane of Computer Management (Local) , under Storage , click Disk Management .

3. Right-click the partition you want to format, and then click Format .

4. In the Format dialog box, under File System , select FAT32 , clickOK , and then clickOK again.

If this post helps to resolve your issue, please click the "Mark as Answer" If you find it helpful , Mark it as helpful by clicking on "Helpful" button at the top of this message. By marking a post as Answered, or Helpful you help others find the answer faster.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated November 3, 2020 Views 7,024 Applies to: