code 43 error on VISTA/nVIDIA GeForce 8600M GS

Hi! Starting from last week my laptop starting reporting the "nvlddmkm" error with system recovery (after a Windows update, as far as I remember). Two days ago the system couldn't recover any longer, crashing all the time imediatley after loading the screen saver. Witout the screen saver on, it was crashing after at least 20 min. I've tried to install/unistall drivers, clean registries, clean the fan, upgrade drivers, and now the display adapter reports the "code 43" error. The memory check was ok. The video card isn't dead, only alive at the lowest resolution possible. Do you have any suggestions what should I do next? Thanks a lot!

Question Info

Last updated November 10, 2018 Views 16,937 Applies to:
Answer
Answer

I just spent a couple of days playing with a DV9000 series laptop.  If you have one of these, I think it is the beginning of the end.  Essentially what happens is the video overheats and manages to melt the solder on the video chip partially disconnecting it.  This is why it will work sometimes and not others.  Searching DV9000 video brings you up a plethora of people with this problem and some "fixes" which are not for the faint hearted.

It's not just the DV9000 series, any similarly designed laptop will have the problem.  Dell, HP and even MACs all have the video chip that causes the problem.

HP had a class action suit in the USA but this is now over.  One of the problems is that the CPU and GPU share just one fan and heatsink and it's just not enough.  Very poor design.  In the UK there is no help at all.  Nvidia do appear to be doing something though http://www.nvidiasettlement.com/

Here is a list of the machines covered under the lawsuit.  http://www.nvidiasettlement.com/affectedmodels.html

If you are not in the USA, you are out of luck.  I am just going to lay this DV9000 to rest.

Never ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly".
My hangouts Format and Reload or Windrivers
Never ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly".

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.