Question

Q: CHKDSK stuck in stage 4 of 5 since last night (about 20 hours) What can I do?

So recently I've been having problems with the computer being slow and what not, I thought it was a virus or malware so I ran multiple antivirus/malware scans and they found nothing. I am fairly certain it is not any virus or malware/adware/etc.
Then, my computer bluescreened.. I managed to use system recovery to be able to start it up again, although it is still going slowly. I checked the event log and saw that it is most probably bad blocks on my hdd. So, I ran chkdsk to hopefully fix it, and so far it seemed to be going well. chkdsk went through stages 1-3 in about 20 or so minutes, deleting corrupt files or index entries, then recovering files and stuff. Then it got to stage 4 of 5, where it says it is verifying file data.. This part was going considerably slower, but I didn't think anything of it... It seemed like it was working well, so I thought that was good. It replaced bad clusters in a couple of files and continued until it got to... " 12% percent complete.  (86522 of 474032 files processed) " and now it has been stuck there for almost 24 hours. I am afraid to manually shut down the computer, because I do not know if that will cause more permanent damage.

What should I do? Please help!! I have Windows Vista 64 bit, fully updated.

P.S. I saw this post http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_vista-performance/please-help-chkdsk-stuck-in-stage-4-of-5-at-6-for/88cd9d55-d457-49a1-a299-50941a678d15 and I appear to have the same problem. Sadly, this post was not answered and I cannot find an answer to this problem. (Same as this poster, I too hear the computer running still, so it frightens me to shut it off while chkdsk is running)

Answer

A:

Two choices. Wait or force the shutdown.

You can try quitting the process in task manager first, but I suspect it will need a forced shutdown
Cat herder
Windows Insider MVP
MVP-Windows and Devices for IT
http://www.zigzag3143.com/

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

3 people were helped by this reply

Question Info

Views: 61,788 Last updated: May 20, 2018 Applies to: