CHKDSK stuck in stage 4 of 5 since last night (about 20 hours) What can I do?

So recently I've been having problems with the computer being slow and what not, I thought it was a virus or malware so I ran multiple antivirus/malware scans and they found nothing. I am fairly certain it is not any virus or malware/adware/etc.
Then, my computer bluescreened.. I managed to use system recovery to be able to start it up again, although it is still going slowly. I checked the event log and saw that it is most probably bad blocks on my hdd. So, I ran chkdsk to hopefully fix it, and so far it seemed to be going well. chkdsk went through stages 1-3 in about 20 or so minutes, deleting corrupt files or index entries, then recovering files and stuff. Then it got to stage 4 of 5, where it says it is verifying file data.. This part was going considerably slower, but I didn't think anything of it... It seemed like it was working well, so I thought that was good. It replaced bad clusters in a couple of files and continued until it got to... " 12% percent complete.  (86522 of 474032 files processed) " and now it has been stuck there for almost 24 hours. I am afraid to manually shut down the computer, because I do not know if that will cause more permanent damage.

What should I do? Please help!! I have Windows Vista 64 bit, fully updated.

P.S. I saw this post http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_vista-performance/please-help-chkdsk-stuck-in-stage-4-of-5-at-6-for/88cd9d55-d457-49a1-a299-50941a678d15 and I appear to have the same problem. Sadly, this post was not answered and I cannot find an answer to this problem. (Same as this poster, I too hear the computer running still, so it frightens me to shut it off while chkdsk is running)

Question Info

Last updated August 14, 2018 Views 63,801 Applies to:
Answer
Two choices. Wait or force the shutdown.

You can try quitting the process in task manager first, but I suspect it will need a forced shutdown
Cat herder
Windows Insider MVP
MVP-Windows and Devices for IT
http://www.zigzag3143.com/

3 people were helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.