"checksum bad" error during boot-up

When I restarted my computer today, the regular boot-up process was interrupted by a blank black screen with an error message that said "checksum bad" and gave me the option of booting up anyways, or entering setup.  I chose to boot up instead of entering setup. 

After I submitted this question to the forum, I restarted my computer and got this error message (I have typed it exactly how it appeared on my screen)

service configuration change
: Drive error
Press F2 to continue, F1 to enter setup

...so I pressed F2 to continue and then the message "error boot sequence" appeared for about 0.5sec underneath the previous error message above and then my computer booted up as if nothing was wrong

I want to know what caused this "checksum bad" error and the boot sequence/drive error and how to resolve the issue(s) 

I have 32bit Windows Vista Home Basic w/ service pack 2

Thank you,

Question Info

Last updated October 15, 2018 Views 3,687 Applies to:
Answer

ehill612,
Thank you for visiting the Microsoft Answers community forum.

Has anything been changed on your system recently such as new hardware or software installed or any new updates?

What kind of computer do you have - laptop or desktop and what brand and model?
This information will help us to better assist you in resolving this issue.

Let's start with checking the system for corrupt system files and checking the hard disk for errors.

To run the System File Checker tool, follow these steps:
Click Start, and then type cmd in the Start Search box.
Right-click cmd in the Programs list, and then click Run as administrator.
If you are prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type your password or click Continue
At the command prompt, type the following line, and then press ENTER:
sfc /scannow
When the scan is complete, test to see whether the issue that you are experiencing is resolved.

You can help solve some computer problems and improve the performance of your computer by making sure that your hard disk has no errors.

1.  Open Computer by clicking the Start button , and then clicking Computer.

2.  Right-click the hard disk drive that you want to check, and then click Properties.

3.  Click the Tools tab, and then, under Error-checking, click Check Now.  If you are prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.

To automatically repair problems with files and folders that the scan detects, select Automatically fix file system errors. Otherwise, the disk check will simply report problems but not fix them.

To perform a thorough disk check, select Scan for and attempt recovery of bad sectors. This scan attempts to find and repair physical errors on the hard disk itself, and it can take much longer to complete.

To check for both file errors and physical errors, select both Automatically fix file system errors and Scan for and attempt recovery of bad sectors.

4.  Click Start.

Depending upon the size of your hard disk, this may take several minutes. For best results, don't use your computer for any other tasks while it's checking for errors.

Note: If you select Automatically fix file system errors for a disk that is in use (for example, the partition that contains Windows), you'll be prompted to reschedule the disk check for the next time you restart your computer.

Let us know the information about your system and the results of these tests.
Thank you,

Gloria
Microsoft Answers Support Engineer
Visit our Microsoft Answers Feedback Forum and let us know what you think.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.