charger plugged in, but not charging

I didn't know where to post this...My charger is plugged in but it won't charge & my battery is low so I can't go anywhere cept for staying in the same place.  Is there a way that I can get it to charge?! Please help. Thanks.
Answer
Answer

Welcome to the Microsoft Windows Vista Communities site.

When your battery doesn’t appear to be holding a charge…

As Carey stated if the battery “doesn’t appear to be holding a charge” it is a very good sign that the battery itself is faulty, and in need of replacement.

With regard to your question about battery life this would vary depending on the capacity of the battery, the quality of the battery, your usage of the system, and your habits when charging/depleting the battery cells. So in short there is no good formula for determining battery life as you could use your laptop very different than I would use mine – in terms of power usage.

Some steps to confirm whether or not the issue is your battery…

There are a few simple things you can do to see if the problem is with your battery, your charger, or the connection (power port) on your motherboard.

1.     You’ll want to first remove the battery from your laptop.

2.     Then verify the wall outlet you are using is fully functional with another electronic device.

3.     Then connect your power cable to the charger, sometimes referred to as the brick, while inspecting the cable for any damage or exposed wires.

4.     Then connect the charger to your laptop’s power port.

5.     Power the computer on when using strictly AC power.

6.     If your computer is working as intended then your battery is most likely headed for “battery heaven” and will need to be replaced.

If your computer does not work then there may be an issue with the charger or the power port on your computer. You will want to double-check all connections, and the power source (wall outlet) you are using. If the problem persists this may be a sign of a faulty charger or the computers power port.

You will also want to check the port on the computer, were your power cable plugs-in, ensuring that the power pin is not bent or damaged. If the issue appears to be with the cable you will need to obtain another cable for testing purposes. If the issue appears to be with the power port you will want to contact your computer manufacture for further assistance.

Jared - Support Engineer - MSFT

Microsoft Answers Support Engineer Posting to you from Windows 7!

193 people were helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated June 10, 2020 Views 50,175 Applies to: