Question

Q: #45: "CRC Error in data" on Storage Device

I have an external storage device and it has 4 partitions .
on one of the partitions ( named as drive H: ) I have 4 folders .
I can have the access to three of those folders except for one . whenever I double click on it ( on the Folder ) , or try to open it , I receive a message , ( do u want to format this drive ? )

windows says the size of this folder is 0 and the tip " file is Empty " appears whenever I point to the folder .
by the way I tried to see what is really going on and I used PartitionMagic , and I received that alert when I was checking the drive .  but it shows that 36 GB of the partition is used and over 17 GB is belong to that specific folder .

I tried the check disk
and it says : File record segment 532 is unreadable.

I have lots of important files in that folder which I really dont want to loose ,
can anyone help me and tell me how to recover my files ?

Thanks in advance ;-)

Answer

A:

Haleh,
Your drive is showing signs of failure.  You need to backup your data onto another drive or DVDs somehow before that drive dies or you lose more data.  Once drives start failing they generally progress to the point of failure.  There are third party data recovery programs on the market that might be able to recover some of the data that you have lost.  We can not recommend one product over another.  Use your favorite search engine and search for "data recovery software".  There are free and paid versions out there just be sure the supplier is reputable, especially with free programs, you can end up with malware.  Most of the reputable paid programs will let you download a free trial and scan your drive to see if it can recover your data, then you have to pay for to actually recover the files.

Good luck, I hope this helps.
Thank you,

Gloria
Microsoft Answers Support Engineer
Visit our Microsoft Answers Feedback Forum and let us know what you think.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Views: 2,487 Last updated: March 25, 2018 Applies to: