Video Thumbnails are not Showing

I have had this problem for a little while now and it's starting to bug me, Every time i put a new video that i publish or add to my computer doesn't have an image, just a thumbnail, i have tried multiple solutions like Deleting the Cache but that only got rid of my old video thumbnails too.

Folder Options and Switching the Default Program back and forth with no success.

The problem, i think, started when i uninstalled Nero Burner and i heard that this same problem happend to other people that did it to.

Please if there is a Registry problem or something i can do Please tell me.

If i don't have this thread in the right topic can a MOD move this.

Question Info

Last updated June 2, 2019 Views 7,653 Applies to:

The classic solution is, as you say, to delete the cache and let the thumbnails regenerate when you open the folders (it may take some time so you need to be patient).  But you say that didn't resolve your problem - that's unfortunate because it does so for most people with this or a similar problem with thumbnails.

Here's a forum thread on this topic including a number of proposed solutions (including a registry fix).  I would be very leary of the registry fix - it is untested, may not work, and/or may do things you don't want instead of what you do want.  If you still decide to try it, first create a System Restore point http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows-vista/create-a-restore-point-for-windows-vistas-system-restore/ AND backup the Registry http://www.adamsdvds.co.uk/tutorials/vista/regedit/backup.php.  Personally, I wouldn't chance it myself - but the decision and the risk is yours.

One person in a forum had the following comment (I don't know if it's true): "Windows will only show thumbnails that play in Windows Media Player as that is the player that is included with Windows. If the video does not play in Windows Media Player (it uses another player like Real Player or Quicktime) then Windows cannot generate a thumbnail for it."  It's possible, but frankly I doubt it.

Downloading this codec helped some people in the forums (though only a few responded to the post): http://www.free-codecs.com/Stinky_MPEG_2_Codec_download.htm.  I can't speak to what this will do to your video system so download and install it at your own risk.  Other codecs may also help resolve the problem - you can search for them.

I hope this helps.

Good luck!

Lorien - MCSE/MCSA/Network+/A+ --- If this post helps to resolve your issue, please click the "Mark as Answer" or "Helpful" button at the top of this message. By marking a post as Answered, or Helpful you help others find the answer faster.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Reply In reply to deleted message

Hi Rslayer9,

You may try these steps and let us know the result.

Step 1

You may try to uninstall and reinstall the codec and check if the issue persists.
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windowsmedia/download/AllDownloads.aspx?displang=en&qstechnology

Step 2

Change settings.

1. Open the Start Menu
  2. Right-Click on Computer and select Properties and a new window will open
  3. Select Advanced System Settings on the left under Tasks
  4. Click on Continue in the UAC prompt
  5. Click on the Advanced tab and select Settings... under the Performance area
  6. Under Visual Effects you will see four options to choose from
  7. Let Windows choose what's best for my computer usually works best for most users
  8. Verify that Show thumbnails instead of icons is checked or you can select Adjust for best appearance and press OK
  9. This may take some time to change

Hope this helps.

Bindu S -- Microsoft Support

[If this post helps to resolve your issue, please click the "Mark as Answer" or "Helpful" button at the top of this message. By marking a post as Answered, or Helpful you help others find the answer faster.]

Sorry this didn't help.

The classic solution is, as you say, to delete the cache and let the thumbnails regenerate when you open the folders (it may take some time so you need to be patient).  But you say that didn't resolve your problem - that's unfortunate because it does so for most people with this or a similar problem with thumbnails.

Here's a forum thread on this topic including a number of proposed solutions (including a registry fix).  I would be very leary of the registry fix - it is untested, may not work, and/or may do things you don't want instead of what you do want.  If you still decide to try it, first create a System Restore point http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows-vista/create-a-restore-point-for-windows-vistas-system-restore/ AND backup the Registry http://www.adamsdvds.co.uk/tutorials/vista/regedit/backup.php.  Personally, I wouldn't chance it myself - but the decision and the risk is yours.

One person in a forum had the following comment (I don't know if it's true): "Windows will only show thumbnails that play in Windows Media Player as that is the player that is included with Windows. If the video does not play in Windows Media Player (it uses another player like Real Player or Quicktime) then Windows cannot generate a thumbnail for it."  It's possible, but frankly I doubt it.

Downloading this codec helped some people in the forums (though only a few responded to the post): http://www.free-codecs.com/Stinky_MPEG_2_Codec_download.htm.  I can't speak to what this will do to your video system so download and install it at your own risk.  Other codecs may also help resolve the problem - you can search for them.

I hope this helps.

Good luck!

Lorien - MCSE/MCSA/Network+/A+ --- If this post helps to resolve your issue, please click the "Mark as Answer" or "Helpful" button at the top of this message. By marking a post as Answered, or Helpful you help others find the answer faster.

Like I said i Uninstalled a program called Nero Burner which seems to be the problem, when i deleted it every new video did not have an image, the only fix would be a registry fix. I recently found out from my Everio JVC Camera that the video file, MOD, had an image when uploaded to my computer but no other file does. And you didnt provide a link to the Reg Fix Thread

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Rslayer9,

You may try these steps and let us know the result.

Step 1

You may try to uninstall and reinstall the codec and check if the issue persists.
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windowsmedia/download/AllDownloads.aspx?displang=en&qstechnology

Step 2

Change settings.

1. Open the Start Menu
  2. Right-Click on Computer and select Properties and a new window will open
  3. Select Advanced System Settings on the left under Tasks
  4. Click on Continue in the UAC prompt
  5. Click on the Advanced tab and select Settings... under the Performance area
  6. Under Visual Effects you will see four options to choose from
  7. Let Windows choose what's best for my computer usually works best for most users
  8. Verify that Show thumbnails instead of icons is checked or you can select Adjust for best appearance and press OK
  9. This may take some time to change

Hope this helps.

Bindu S -- Microsoft Support

[If this post helps to resolve your issue, please click the "Mark as Answer" or "Helpful" button at the top of this message. By marking a post as Answered, or Helpful you help others find the answer faster.]

Tried that with no success, can you maybe ask your support team for a patch, this seems hopeless.

Sorry this didn't help.

Like I said i Uninstalled a program called Nero Burner which seems to be the problem, when i deleted it every new video did not have an image, the only fix would be a registry fix. I recently found out from my Everio JVC Camera that the video file, MOD, had an image when uploaded to my computer but no other file does. And you didnt provide a link to the Reg Fix Thread

The registry fix is not a link but actually posted in the forum thread (OOPS, you're right, I didn't post it).  Here it is: http://forums.techarena.in/vista-file-management/790502.htm.  Sorry.

Good luck!

Sorry this didn't help.

I found this software that seems to work.  I just downloaded it as I didn't have previews for any video files that windows provided players didn't play such as .flv.  I'm not saying that I know much about the software yet but it seems to have solved the issue for me.  Here's the address: http://www.babelsoft.net/products.htm

Hope it helps.

4 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.