Question

Q: Lost files in an interrupted cut and paste

Hi! If anyone could help I'd be really grateful, I'm hopeless with computers:
I was moving my music library from an external hard drive to my new PC and thought I'd hit skip when asked to confirm a file overwrite. Must have hit cancel, the transfer stopped and have now no idea how to find and recover the files. They are not in the original folder, nor the target folder. It appears that they're on my hard drive somewhere as there is about 50G there that wasn't before in properties, but I cannot find them in a folder, or by searching the computer.
Any ideas? 

Answer

A:

Hello melcurrant,

Thank you for your reply back!

Sorry you are experiencing this problem.  I addition to the steps from above you could try to perform a system restore to a point in time prior to moving your audio files.   Please let us know status.  Thanks!

Using the System Restore tool may not necessarily help you determine the issue. The System Restore tool uses restore points to return system files and settings to an earlier point in time. You can use it to restore the operating system to a point in time in which you did not experience the issue. When you use System Restore to restore the computer to a previous state, programs and updates that you installed are removed.

How to repair the operating system and how to restore the operating system configuration to an earlier point in time in Windows Vista
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/936212/

Running the System Restore utility…

1.     Click Start, click All Programs, click Accessories, click System Tools, and then click System Restore.

2.     Click Continue or provide Administrator credentials if necessary.

3.     Click Choose a different restore point, and then click Next.

4.     Select a Date and Time prior to first sign of the issue you’ve described.

5.     If the date you need is in excess of (5) days click the Show restore points older than 5 days check box.

Important Notice: That System Restore affects Windows system files, programs, and registry settings. It can also make changes to scripts, batch files, and other types of executable files on your computer. Thus, any recently installed programs, updates, or changes to configuration will be lost if you use System Restore. However, make note that System Restore does not affect personal files, such as e-mail, documents, or photos, so it cannot help you restore a deleted file.

James Microsoft Answers Support Engineer Visit our Microsoft Answers Feedback Forum and let us know what you think.

Did this resolve your issue?

Sorry this didn't help.

Answer

A:

Hello melcurrant,

You know what you might try and do is do a Search for one of the song titles that you were transferring from the external drive to your PC. For example, let's say it's the Rolling Stones Start Me Up. In Vista, click on the Vista logo button (not sure if it's called the Start button anymore) and then type in Start Me Up into the Search Box. If it is on your PC as you suspect, and you're probably right the music is someplace, you should see where in the resulting Search Results window.

Hope this helps.

Eric

Did this resolve your issue?

Sorry this didn't help.

progress

Question Info

Views: 13871 Last updated: August 18, 2017 Applies to:
Windows / Windows Vista / Files, folders, & storage