Question

Q: Can't find msconfig

My computer can't seem to find the System Configuration (msconfig), in fact I don't seem to have it.

When I type it into the start menu and hit enter it just says "Windows is searching for msconfig.exe" and then doesn't find it. I did a seperate search for "msconfig" and found nothing, I also searched for "System Configuration", all it found was a shortcut to msconfig which is, of course, missing.

I'm on Windows Vista.

Thanks in advance.

Answer

A:

Hi amcoops,

It sure looks like a hardware problem to me - either with the monitor or with the video card (it's hard to tell which without swapping out a good one for one of the potentially bad ones to see if the problem moves).

Go to Device Manager by going to start / search box and type device manager and enter and then double-click on the program icon that appears.  Check each device for a red x, yellow ! or white ?.  These identify devices with problems (probably drivers, but also conflicts or something else).  Click on each for further details and troubleshooting tips.  Get updated device drivers for both the monitor and the video card.  If you need to get drivers, do so from the computer vendor or device manufacturer (NOT from Microsoft Updates).  In fact, you should turn off automatic driver updates from Windows Update as follows: http://www.addictivetips.com/windows-tips/how-to-disable-automatic-driver-installation-in-windows-vista/. Proceed as follows to get the drivers: http://pcsupport.about.com/od/driverssupport/ht/driverdlmfgr.htm.  Once you have the drivers, you can install them through Device Manager as follows: http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/193584-device-manager-install-driver.html.  Use these procedures if you're having trouble - there might be something you're not doing correctly.

If you update both drivers but the problem persists, then it's almost certainly a hardware problem with one or both of those devices.  You'll need to either send it back to the computer manufacturer for testing and replacement or find a competent, reputable computer repair technician (NOT Geek Squad or any of those big store centers).  If you have a spare of either device that you know works, swap it with the one on your system to see if the problem goes away.  If it does, then that's the bad device.  If it doesn't, then it's the other device that's bad.

I hope this helps.

Good luck!

P.S.  Sorry it took so long to reply.  I didn't notice your post until this other post came up - I didn't get an email notification for some reason (there have been some problems with the email notification system for the past few weeks).
Lorien - MCSE/MCSA/Network+/A+ --- If this post helps to resolve your issue, please click the "Mark as Answer" or "Helpful" button at the top of this message. By marking a post as Answered, or Helpful you help others find the answer faster.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Views: 16,806 Last updated: May 11, 2018 Applies to: