Question

Q: Cannot import registry file, getting error "cannot import file, error accessing the registry" in Vista

I was trying to add take ownership to the context menu but I cant merge the reg file I downloaded.  I keep getting an error message that says cannot import file.  Error accessing the registry. Vista 32bit W/sp2 installed.

Answer

A:

Hi,

1.     Where is the location of the registry file?

2.     What is the exact error message you get when you are trying to merge the reg file?

3.     Are you  able to merge the same registry file to another computer?

4.     why are you taking the ownership of the context menu and what is wrong with the computer?

5.     Are you  trying to take ownership in registry or any folder in windows

I would suggest you to follow the below methods and see if it works fine:

Method 1

How to Grant Permissions in Registry

a)     Click Start

b)    In the search box type regedit

c)     Go to edit and Permissions

d)    Click Advanced tab and Select Permissions

e)     Select user/group from permission windows or click “Add” to add other user or group.

f)     Under Permission, check “Full Control”under the “Allow” column to assign full access rights control permissions.

g)    Click  Ok for changes to take effect and click OK to exit from Properties window           

Take ownership of the Registry.

a)     Click Start

b)    In the search box type regedit

c)     Go to edit and Permissions

d)    Click Advanced tab and Select Owner

e)     Click on  Edit Button and select user from given Change Owner to list if user or group is not in the given list.

f)     You may also give full access by adding everyone.

g)    Click on Other users or groups, type Everyone in the field provided and clickok.

h)     Now select  User/group and click apply and OK. Check “Replace owner on subcontainers and objects” if you have files and folder within selected folder.

Click OK when Windows Security Prompt is displayed.

Now Owner name must have changed. Click  Ok to exit

Important:  This section, method, or task contains steps that tell you how to modify the registry. However, serious problems might occur if you modify the registry incorrectly. Therefore, make sure that you follow these steps carefully. For added protection, back up the registry before you modify it. Then, you can restore the registry if a problem occurs. For more information about how to back up and restore the registry, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:

How to back up and restore the registry in Windows: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/322756

Method 2

Step 1: Take ownership of the folder in windows 7

a.      Right click on folder and select “Properties” from Context Menu.

b.      Click on "Security" tab.

c.      Click on “Advanced” button.

d.      Go to "Owner" tab in Advanced Security Settings for User windows.

e.      Click on  Edit Button and select user from givenChange Owner to list if user or group is not in the given list.

f.     You may also give full access by adding everyone.

Click on Other users or groups, type Everyone in the field provided and clickok.

g.      Now select  User/group and click apply and OK. Check “Replace owner on subcontainers and objects” if you have files and folder within selected folder.

h.       Click OK when Windows Security Prompt is displayed.

i.        Now Owner name must have changed. Click  Ok to exit from Properties windows.

Once you have taken the ownership of the folder, the next part is granting permissions to that folder.

Step 2: How to Grant Permissions in Windows 7

a.    Right click on the folder and select “Properties” from Context Menu.

b.    Click on  Edit button in Properties windows Click OK to confirm the prompt.

c.    Select user/group from permission windows or click “Add” to add other user or group.

d.     Under Permission, check “Full Control”under the “Allow” column to assign full access rights control permissions.

e.      Click  Ok for changes to take effect and click OK to exit from Properties window.

For further information refer the below article What are permissions?

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-vista/What-are-permissions

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

5 people were helped by this reply

Question Info

Views: 65,192 Last updated: June 22, 2018 Applies to: