Turning off "Windows can compact your emails" message

Each time I exit Windows Mail, I get a message wanting to compact my emails. In earlier versions of Windows there was a tweak available to turn this message off and leave the email messages not compacted. Is it also available in Vista?

OldZ80

Question Info

Last updated August 20, 2018 Views 4,453 Applies to:
Answer
Each time I exit Windows Mail, I get a message wanting to compact my emails. In earlier versions of Windows there was a tweak available to turn this message off and leave the email messages not compacted. Is it also available in Vista?

OldZ80

Vista does NOT compact your e-mail messages. That is purely misconception, and Microsoft's poor choice of terminology.

IN WM, each message occupies its own file, so no message compaction needed. The 'compaction' mentioned in WM is
internal to the message database. Each time you delete a message,it leaves an empty spot in the database (index). Compaction removes the empty spaces, thereby speeding up database access.

Windows Mail is offering to compact the index file for email messages, to remove the references to deleted messages, and will keep doing so until you let it do this.
The actual messages are stored in separate files. Once you let it do this, the message will disappear until you close Windows Mail a certain number oftimes - usually 100 times.

You should let Vista to do the ' compaction '.
If you INSIST ..... and you should not .....
Open Windows Mail > Tools > Options > Advanced > Maintenance. UN-check the compact option > OK

t-4-2

2 people were helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.