Question

Q: Optimal Resolution Popup? This thread is locked from future replies

Hello! I just purchased a new Compaq laptop which has Windows Vista installed. The screen resolution is set for 1366 x 768 by default. However, I keep getting a popup notification stating that the screen resolution is not set to the optimal resolution of 1366 x 768. I called HP support and the tech had me install a graphics driver but I still got the popups. The tech thinks that it may be a corrupted file from Windows Update. Is anyone else having this problem? If it is a corrupted file, I don't want it to further affect my computer. Thanks!

Answer

A:

Hi Mz  Lead,

I need you to clarify a few things for me.

1.       Which version of Windows Vista are you running?

2.       What is the model of your laptop from HP?

3.       When you say the pre-installed games such as Hearts and Solitaire are those the games that HP has installed or the actual built in games from windows? If you go to Programs and Features (In Control Panel) do you have the ability to uninstall the games (Don’t uninstall, just want to know if they are listed here)? Are these games located in a folder called Hp games?

4.       Do you have an external monitor hooked up to your laptop?

5.       When we see this message, does it appear to be a “Windows” box message or can you possibly describe it in more detail for us?

6.       Have you ever seen a message appear that says something along the line of “Aero will be disabled because there are known compatibility issues”?

Based off what you are seeing, this only happens when exiting games, most games will change the screen resolution for game play but adjust back to your normal at exiting the games. Typically you would not see this on built in or pre-install games (Depending on the game).

Another option we have is to try from a “Test” profile. The steps below will create a “Test” profile we can sign into.

•         Click the Start Button, and then click Control Panel
•         Click Classic View in left panel. 
•         Double-click User Accounts.
•         Click Manage another use account. 
•         Click Create a new account, and type the name (whatever you want for a name)
•         Choose account type as Computer administrator.
•         Click Create Account.
•         Log off and log on with the new account.

After testing to remove the “test” profile just access the user accounts from the above steps and delete the “Test” profile.

Please let us know.

Thanks,

Keith
Microsoft Answers Support Engineer
Visit our Microsoft Answers Feedback Forum and let us know what you think.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

4 people were helped by this reply

Question Info

Views: 69172 Last updated: February 21, 2018 Applies to: