How can I remove the Bing icon from my desktop?

original title: Bing icon

How can I remove the Bing icon from my desktop? All I get is permission denied. Despite what Microsoft might think this is my computer. I'm regretfully running Vista 64 bit home premium.

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

How can I remove the Bing icon from my desktop? All I get is permission denied. Despite what Microsoft might think this is my computer. I'm regretfully running Vista 64 bit home premium.

2 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Hello scottyw,

Try rebooting your computer to see if this helps. If your having trouble with a file/folder then try taking ownership of it, here are the steps below:

Here are the steps to modify ownership and permissions:

1. Right-click the file or folder, click Properties, and then click the Security tab.
  2. Click Advanced, and then click the Owner tab.
  3. Click Edit, and then do one of the following:

·To change the owner to a user or group that is not listed, click Other users and groups and, in Enter the object name to select (examples), type the name of the user or group, and then click OK.

To change the owner to a user or group that is listed, in the Change owner to box, click the new owner.

4.       If you want to take ownership of the contents of the folder, select the Replace owner on subcontainers and objects check box.

5.       Click OK, and then click Yes when you receive the following message:

You do not have permission to read the contents of directory folder name. Do you want to replace the directory permissions with permissions granting you Full Control?

All permissions will be replaced if you click Yes.

Note:  folder name is the name of the folder that you want to take ownership of.

6.       Click OK, and then reapply the permissions and security settings that you want for the folder and its contents.

Additional considerations:

• An administrator can take ownership of any file on the computer.
  • Assigning ownership of a file or a folder might require you to elevate your permissions using User Access Control. 

Hope this helps you. Let us know either way. Make it a great day!

"In the End The Love You Take, Is Equal To The Love You Make" (The Beatles last song from thier last album, Abbey Road.)
"In the End The Love You Take, Is Equal To The Love You Make"

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

What Bing icon? How did it get there? Having a Bing icon on your Desktop isn't part of Vista. It either came preinstalled, with some program, or you put it there. More details please so you can get the focused help you want.

MS-MVP - Elephant Boy Computers - Don't Panic!
Elephant Boy Computers - Don't Panic!

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Thanks very much for your reply, but I'm trying to remove an icon for the shortcut to Bing. It's not a file or a folder. I can't even change the properties of the icon. Microsoft is trying to force me to leave it on MY computer and I want it off.

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hello scottyw,

Have you tried to removing the Bing Search bar thru the add and remove programs? I thought you meant left over reminents, which would be in files and folders. Icons are part of the program as you know. Try to remove it there and you should be good to go. Microsoft is not making you keep the Bing Search bar! Hope this helps you. Let us know either way. Make it a great day!

"In the End The Love You Take, Is Equal To The Love You Make" (The Beatles last song from thier last album, Abbey Road.)

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Thanks again for your reply, but it's not the search bar it is a icon, like you would have for a shortcut. Just a small icon and when I try to remove it or delete it or do any thing else to it a box pops up that says permission denied. I am in the administrator log on. I still think that microsoft is doing this to try to force me to keep Bing on my desktop.  Thank you very much for your help.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I can't seem to find my previous post so I will try again. I am running Vista 64 bit home premium and I can't remove the Bing icon from my desktop. A window pops up and says permission denied. I am logged on as administrator. I'm not talking about the Bing search tool bar or any type of file or folder just the icon on my desktop.  Thanks and sorry if I double posted this question.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hello scottyw,

Here is a link: http://social.answers.microsoft.com/Profile/en-US/?user=scottyw&referrer=http%3a%2f%2fsocial.answers.microsoft.com%2fForums%2fen-US%2fvistaappearance%2fthread%2fa83a2dd2-e01c-4949-9023-a8d78424fac8&rh=eQ5AVirwb0oJzefTzLKMSknF%2bm%2bux5pZ6yrNGhPzY6c%3d&sp=forums to your previous post. Click on the blue scottyw threads to see your 2 questions. You will need to uninstall this Bing program from your add and remove utility in Vista. Hope this helps you. Let us know either way. Make it a great day!

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Thank you for your reply. There is no Bing program to uninstall. When I click on the icon the shortcut takes me to the web address for Microsoft Bing. It is not in my computer. If I right click and select delete, for the icon, a window pops up and says permission denied. Thanks for the help

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

The Bing icon got on my desktop because I thought I would give Bing a try when Microsoft came out with it. Everwhere I turned there was a add for it from Microsoft. Well I tried it and I don't like it but now I can't get rid of it.  Thanks for your help.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated August 5, 2023 Views 5,933 Applies to: