Question

Q: Desktop Shortcuts Not Working.

Every time I try to click a shortcut on me desktop it asks what application to open it with. I've tried restarting my laptop and shutting it down completely and still nothing. It what working fine last time I was logged in but now nothing. i've read that I should try a .lnk (shortcut) file association repair but when i download them from the sties and click Merge all that happens is a notepad document is opened up. Apparently something should pop up for me to hit 'Run' but that never happens.<input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"></input> <input id="jsProxy" onclick="jsCall();" type="hidden" />

Answer

A:

Skywoof,

Is the problem isolated to just one desktop shortcut or all? Are the start menu shortcuts affected? Please try the following:

Use the System File Checker tool (SFC.exe) to determine which file is causing the issue, and then replace the file. To do this, follow these steps:

1.       Open an elevated command prompt. To do this, click Start, click All Programs, click Accessories, right-click Command Prompt, and then click Run as administrator. If you are prompted for an administrator password or for a confirmation, type the password, or click Allow.

2.       Type the following command, and then press ENTER:

sfc /scannow

The sfc /scannow command scans all protected system files and replaces incorrect versions with correct Microsoft versions.

For more information see KB 929833. I hope this helps!

Lisa
Microsoft Answers Support Engineer
Visit our Microsoft Answers Feedback Forum and let us know what you think.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

11 people were helped by this reply

Question Info

Views: 27,374 Last updated: July 6, 2018 Applies to: