Connecting laptop directly to a projector and can't see my laptop screen

I'm trying to figure out how to display my laptop screen through a projector and also be able to see my laptop screen.  When i hit the function key to display on the big screen, my laptop goes dark.  I found a post on this forum about connecting additional displays or projector (Set Up Multiple Displays). When i go to Mobile PC and Display Settings the choices listed in the answer (mirrored, extended, etc) are not there.  My laptop is two weeks old and running Vista Business Service Pack 2.  Thank you for any help you can provide.

Question Info

Last updated October 17, 2018 Views 24,114 Applies to:
Answer

Hello Shawn,

Thank you for Posting on the Microsoft Vista Community Forums.

Probably there should be shortcut on your laptop keyboard to switch the visible monitor (e.g. Fn + F5). Try those until you can see the image on the laptop monitor.

Also follow the steps and try to set the display setting as follows:

1) Right-click on the desktop, click on Properties and on the Display Settings choose monitor 1 as your primary display adapter.

2) Setup that external display (Projector) as a 2nd monitor.

3) Click on Apply and Ok.

Restart the computer to verify if you are able to see the display on both Laptop and Projector.

You may also verify with the computer manufacturer to verify if they have any additional settings to be changed.

Hope it helps.

Thanks and Regards,

Srinivas

Microsoft Answers Support Engineer

Visit our Microsoft Answers Feedback Forum and let us know what you think

8 people were helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.