Error code 0x0000005D in VirtualBox

Hey.

So I tried installing the Windows 10 Technical Preview in Virtual Box today but I get the error code 0x0000005D when booting from the ISO. I have PAE/NX enabled in VB and my CPU (A Core 2 Duo E7400) has the Execute Disable Bit feature. I think the reason I'm getting this error is because my CPU doesn't support VT-x which I think is needed to use Execute Disable Bit in guest OSs.

Can anyone confirm this?

Question Info

Last updated August 6, 2018 Views 12,094 Applies to:
Answer
OK, I have got it working now.

First of all, make sure that you have the latest version of Oracle VirtualBox. I performed an update check via VB and it informed me that it was up to date. This was not the case.

Oracle's website revealed that the latest version is 4.3.16. I was running 4.3.12. Installing the latest version also led to updating other elements of VirtualBox.

I then found this page: https://www.virtualbox.org/ticket/11899, and the solution was on there.

As suggested, I ran the following command prior to running VirtualBox:

"C:\Program Files\Oracle\VirtualBox\VBoxManage.exe" setextradata global VBoxInternal/CPUM/CMPXCHG16B 1

Of course, your program path may be different.

That was it. I ran VB again and I was able to install Windows 10 Technical Preview. I will update this thread later as I know some people wish to know if this release will run on VB, so I will let you know how it went for me. 

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.