Question

Q: Error code 0x0000005D in VirtualBox This thread is locked from future replies

Hey.

So I tried installing the Windows 10 Technical Preview in Virtual Box today but I get the error code 0x0000005D when booting from the ISO. I have PAE/NX enabled in VB and my CPU (A Core 2 Duo E7400) has the Execute Disable Bit feature. I think the reason I'm getting this error is because my CPU doesn't support VT-x which I think is needed to use Execute Disable Bit in guest OSs.

Can anyone confirm this?

Answer

A:

OK, I have got it working now.

First of all, make sure that you have the latest version of Oracle VirtualBox. I performed an update check via VB and it informed me that it was up to date. This was not the case.

Oracle's website revealed that the latest version is 4.3.16. I was running 4.3.12. Installing the latest version also led to updating other elements of VirtualBox.

I then found this page: https://www.virtualbox.org/ticket/11899, and the solution was on there.

As suggested, I ran the following command prior to running VirtualBox:

"C:\Program Files\Oracle\VirtualBox\VBoxManage.exe" setextradata global VBoxInternal/CPUM/CMPXCHG16B 1

Of course, your program path may be different.

That was it. I ran VB again and I was able to install Windows 10 Technical Preview. I will update this thread later as I know some people wish to know if this release will run on VB, so I will let you know how it went for me. 

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Views: 12025 Last updated: February 14, 2018 Applies to: