First impressions Win10

Ok, yes, it's better than 8, but that really doesn't say all that much.

A so called "start menu". Do you really this that all your customers are idiots...?? Because that is the impression I get, that you guys think we're idiots. We are not. We rejected metro for a reason. We want nothing to do with anything 'metro', and that includes the 'store' and any other 'metro apps'.  Your attempt to fool us with this current start menu has, sadly for you, failed miserably.

Now, as for those 2 new buttons on the taskbar, search and tasks view...again, what's wrong with you guys...??? Hard coding nonsense like that achieves one thing and one thing only: it annoys us.

Yes, I have one more thing, at this early date. The feedback 'button'.

Well, it's not really a button, it's a metro app, which we reject. I get it though. Create the illusion that you're collecting feedback from the general public when in fact the only ones you are collecting info from are the fanboi's. But hey, didn't you guys listen to them almost exclusively in the run up to win8...??? Remind me again, how did that work out...???(and lets face it, the only ones who would ever agree to the insidious terms of the windows insider program would be your hard core fanbois, and certainly not the vast majorits who rejected 8, metro et al.)

Here's the bottom line. We are NOT fooled, we are NOT impressed.

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Well, for me you are just selfish. You are talking "WE". Who is "we"? Who gave you permissions to talk for "THEM"? If you think Microsoft should do everything YOU say then... I'm sorry, they won't.

I've been using Windows 8(.1) from the beginning and I didn't like it at first - same as you. I kept mine Windows 7 installed for a reason and after checking new system I returned to 7. But then the update came and I started using it more often. At some point I decided, that I'm working much faster with Windows 8.1 and I left 7 behind. Even new menu start came very usefull at the end. It was like old, but much bigger and kept my desktop clean. I haven't been using Metro apps though, I just found it not usefull at all.

Now, 10 is a mix of 8.1 and 7 (kinda old menu start). If you don't like Metro and everything connected to it - don't use it. I can say even more, if you don't like windows 8 and 10 - don't use it. But let it stay for those who like it (I'm an example). For the new things - task view CAN be usefull, but I think I need more time, and search button is very usefull. It's very fast and finally it's in place, where we can have quick acess to it. And remember, there is a couple of months (I think??) to final release, so they can change a lot...

PS. Sorry for my english.

And remember, there is a couple of months (I think??) to final release, so they can change a lot...

PS. Sorry for my english.

Which of course is why I have voiced my opinion. If all they hear is from the fanbois, then we are stuck with what they like....think 8 et al. Keep in mind that it was the massive groundswell of negative reaction to 8 & metro etc that has caused the backtracking. If you say nothing, you get nothing, and that is what you deserve. A very large percentage of the user base has been doing battle against all things metro for over a couple years now, and we all want them to get this right so we can end the struggle. We do have other things to do with our lives yanno.

IMHO, YMMV.

Calm down, man.

The metro apps are fine when they run in windows instead of full screen. I'm sure we'll see much more variety, and much better apps, now that they actually stand a chance of being run on the majority of Windows computers (which are laptops/desktops, not hybrids or tablets).

The hardcore "We" that you obviously represent does not represent the majority of Windows users. Removing Metro apps from the Start Menu is as simple as .. well - removing them.

Calm down, man.

The hardcore "We" that you obviously represent does not represent the majority of Windows users. Removing Metro apps from the Start Menu is as simple as .. well - removing them.

Well, given the dismal showing of 8 & 8.1, I'd submit that it does indeed represent a majority users, whether they are vocal or not.

Also, it might be better to focus on the message, as opposed to my writing style. I'd say that this is too important to waste time getting hung up on semantics.

Imho, of course...

IMHO, YMMV.

Now, 10 is a mix of 8.1 and 7 (kinda old menu start). If you don't like Metro and everything connected to it - don't use it. I can say even more, if you don't like windows 8 and 10 - don't use it. But let it stay for those who like it (I'm an example). 

Couldn't agree more. I don't spend all day in the Start Menu.

I have a variety of applications and file windows open and work between them most of the day. Once I'm outside the Start Screen I'm business as normal, and like the new Explorer and tools in 8 much better than 7 any day. 10 for me doesn't seem to change that so much but give people on the Desktop more attention.

Man, have you ever thought about how metro apps are good? They allows you to run phone apps on computer! And now with WINDOWED MODE! You have no reason to say that it is bad~ And I love the current start menu. I'll never downgrade it to Windows 7 again, I'll just use Windows 10.

For why it is named Windows 10, just think about how Apple named their phone iPhone 4. It was the 4th generation. So Win7 is the 7th gen, Win8 is 8th, Win8.1 is 9th, why they cant name their new system Win10?

So, some of you may think I hate Win7 very much? My computer is Mac Mini and don't have win10 support for Boot Camp yet. If I hate Win7, I could simply use my Mac OS X. I liked win7, and I think I will like Win10 better.

Ya see, this is where the disconnect exists. Reading the comments on this page, one could easily come away with the impression that win8/metro was a raging success and ten merely builds upon it.

Except for one little teeny tiny factoid: The exact opposite is true. I get that there is a certain ilk who worship at the alter of microsoft, and believe that they can do no wrong. However, ms made the mistake of listening to them the last time, and released 8 thinking that everybody would welcome it with open arms. One would hope that they have learned from their mistakes, and listen to dissenting opinions this time around. It just may save them from from two complete disasters in a row.

IMHO, YMMV.

In this case, those of us who like Modern are the dissenting viewpoint. Are we not supposed to push for the retention of the UI we like as an option?

I have no objection to the Menu coming back, as long as I don't have to use it. I have considerable objection to statements that "nobody wants Metro" or "Metro should be completely removed from the OS."

Yes, you should be able to use the classic design, but that doesn't mean that I and others like me should have to give up what we like. We may be the minority, but there are enough of us to matter.

"Love is just a trick nature plays on us to get us to reproduce" - Callisto, Xena Warrior Princess

In this case, those of us who like Modern are the dissenting viewpoint. Are we not supposed to push for the retention of the UI we like as an option?

I have no objection to the Menu coming back, as long as I don't have to use it. I have considerable objection to statements that "nobody wants Metro" or "Metro should be completely removed from the OS."

Yes, you should be able to use the classic design, but that doesn't mean that I and others like me should have to give up what we like. We may be the minority, but there are enough of us to matter.

Yes, you do have a point. I failed to properly articulate my point. I absolutely should have specified "the desktop". That is on me. In fact, as far as the whole metro ecosystem, I'm fine with it remaining on touch devices. My rantings are specific to the desktop, and only the desktop.

Sorry for not being more clear.

IMHO, YMMV.

I actually mean on non-touch systems. Its pretty much a given that the Modern UI or an evolution of it will be the default on tablets, but I want it to remain as an option on traditional form factor machines.

I like Modern on my tower and laptop computers, and have no wish to be limited to the desktop UI or forced to use an archaic Start Menu. I was in a struggle with the Menu for 17 years, and I never want to go back to that style of launcher. But I have no problem with the option being there for others to stick with what they prefer.

So Metro remaining on tablets isn't good enough - it needs to remain on "desktops" as well, with the option to turn it off for those who don't want it.

Why do people think when someone says they like Modern that must mean "just on tablets"? And those who like mouse and keyboard and full computers must always prefer the desktop UI?

"The desktop" to me means the UI, not the system form factor. I haven't owned a system that would fit on desk since the 90s. And I don't agree that the desktop UI is the only "proper" way to work with a stationary computer.

"Love is just a trick nature plays on us to get us to reproduce" - Callisto, Xena Warrior Princess

Discussion Info

Last updated May 22, 2018 Views 1,625 Applies to: