USB Input Device is an older USB device and might not work with USB 3.0

I am having trouble with some USB devices. Since a recent Windows 10 update, my USB joystick and my Oculus Rift Position Tracker (USB imaging device) no longer function. In the devices menu, using the troubleshoot option gives me the message: "USB Input Device is an older USB device and might not work with USB 3.0". These devices previously worked perfectly fine until a week or so ago. I do not have any spare USB 2.0 ports on my computer, nor do I know why USB 3.0 ports would no longer work. Anyone know how to fix this issue? I have already tried common solutions such as unplugging/replugging, uninstalling/reinstalling drivers, rebooting etc.
Hi RawrzBear ,

Thank you for contacting Microsoft Community.

This might be an issue if the hardware/driver is not compatible with Windows 10 Technical Preview. I understand how frustrating it is when things don't work as expected. Let’s try few methods which might help us in resolving the issue.

Which was the recent Windows update installed on the computer? Can you provide the KB number?

First turn off your computer using 'Shut Down' or pressing the power button  and then unplug it from the wall outlet. Let it sit for about a minute and then  plug it back in. Check for the updated USB device drivers using Windows update. 

If the issue still persists follow the methods below and check if it helps.

Method 1: Run Hardware troubleshooter.
a. Connect the devices to the computer.
b. Press Windows + W key on the keyboard.
c. Type troubleshooting in the search tab and press Enter.
d. Click View all on left panel.
e. Click Hardware and devices, new window will popup.
f.  Follow the on screen instructions.

Method 2: Please reinstall the USB drivers in compatible with Windows 10 Technical Preview.

Step 1: Uninstall the USB drivers.
a. Press Windows + X, Click Device Manager.
b. Expand Universal Serial Bus (USB) host controller.
c. Right click on the all the drivers and click uninstall one by one.

Step 2: Reinstall the drivers.
Please download the drivers the computer Manufacturer’s website and reinstall the drivers.
a. Download the driver for Windows 8/8.1 from the manufacturer’s website.
b. Right click on the setup file of the driver and select Properties.
c. Select Compatibility Tab.
d. Place a check mark next to Run this program in Compatibility mode and select Windows 8 from the drop down list.
e. Let the driver install and then check the functionality.

For more information:
What if a device isn't installed properly?

Get your apps and devices working in Windows 8.1

Note: The above links are applicable for Windows 10 Technical Preview.

If the issue sill persists we would request you to check for chipset driver updates which you can get from the manufacturer website. The chipset drivers normally incorporate USB controller drivers as well.

Hope this helps. If the issue persists please provide required information and we’ll be glad to assist you.

2 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Unfortunately this info is not very helpful to me, I have already tried all of the standard boilerplate troubleshooting items. I do not know which update caused the loss of function of these USB devices, but it happened in the last week or two. Both devices were working perfectly fine up until very recently so I don't understand why this loss of Windows 10 compatibility has occurred.

2 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi RawrzBear,

Please help us by answering this question.

‘Do all other USB devices work as expected when plugged into the USB3.0 ports?’

Also, we have sent a Private Message requesting some diagnostic information. Please reply with the required information in reply to the Private Message.

Let us know if you have any questions.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Yes, all other devices work. Furthermore I have tested plugging the device into a USB port which does not work either. The error I receive in the troubleshoot dialogue is simply that it cannot diagnose the problem. The device works fine when plugged into my laptop running Windows 8.1.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I am having the same issue with the windows 10 update. The mouse and keyboard work and are both wireless but with the controller it doesn't work at all I've tried uninstalling the controller itself, uninstalling the USB drivers, and when trying to trouble shoot the device get the same issue as above,
"USB Input Device is an older USB device and might not work with USB 3.0", which is extremely annoying it worked with windows XP right up until we did the update for windows 10 this seems to be the only issue I've come across that even a more tech savvy friend is still having issues with as well. Did this get resolved or is there any way to resolve the USB port connection issue with controllers?

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated November 14, 2020 Views 4,828 Applies to: