Is the Win7 UI really better than Metro UI? Are we going backward?

Just installed Windows Technical Preview Enterprise. The install was basically from upgraded one of my laptop with Win8.1.

The install is fine. BUT I felt something is missing.

It does look just like Windows 7 which I am not too crazy about it. May be I got tired seeing the UI for many years.

I missed the Windows 8.1 Metro look, the large tiles etc. May be I get use to it and in my mind, it's the latest feel and it was lively populated the screen nicely.

But now, it feels like Windows 7 again. Even there are tiles when clicked on the start button, but they are small and the popup menu cannot be resized.

When click on the All apps, the are also small, just like Windows 7. This is good news for those who cannot get use to Win8.1 or have not even looked at it and prefer Win7 environment no matte what.

But for those who adapted to the Win8.1 environment for over a year or two, they may feel like the UI design is going backward and will be missed. It would be nice to also allow us to back to the Metro look with large tiles. Can it? Or I just don't know how to get to it by pressing a key or a click somewhere?

What about each time we hit the Windows key, it will switch between the Desktop and Metro tiles? Like if we are on the Desktop and by pressing the Windows key, it goes to Metro and vice versa. Of course when on the Desktop, by clicking or touching the Start menu, it then do what it does now with Win10 which popup menu with small tiles and Apps.

Discussion Info

Last updated May 22, 2018 Views 1,719 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

I agree completely. I've gotten very used to having a hybrid UI on all my machines, and don't want to lose Modern on some of them because they're designated "desktops". I especially don't want the Menu back as the only choice.

Let's hope the final version of 10 allows a good mix of old and new, like 8, but with better options to satisfy both the desktop-UI and Modern-UI crowds.

"Love is just a trick nature plays on us to get us to reproduce" - Callisto, Xena Warrior Princess
If you right click on the taskbar, and click properties, then go over to start menu, there's an option to use the old Metro Start Screen.

As Nicholas said, I've been able to configure Windows 10 with the look and feel I am used to (Windows 8.1) on my Surface Pro 3.  I have my charms back, and the Metro start screen.  I do like the new (old) start button on a "non-touch" device.  I wish the that O/S could "figure out" if I am using my device (particularly my Surface Pro) as a touch device, or if it was docked and change to the appropriate configuration automatically.  That would be sweet!!

I think you represent a very small minority of Windows users. Many users (including entire companies) refuse to use Windows 8 because they feel that the hybrid interface simply isn't optimized for a desktop machine, and that it's not conducive to an efficient workflow.

I have been personally using Windows 8(.1) on my hybrid tablet, laptops, and desktop machines. While I find the hybrid UI great on the hybrid tablet, I really disliked the Metro part of the interface on my desktop. I still love the new underlying features in Windows 8 (improved task manager, explorer, etc.) but I think I was one of many who wished for all the great Windows improvements without the Metro UI, which is quite frankly clunky to use without a touchscreen.

Also, as I mentioned before, many companies feel that the Metro interface didn't fit into corporate environments, and decided to refrain from upgrading their Windows 7 machines. I think Microsoft really needs to finally give these clients something new, that is suited for them, if they want to keep them as clients in the long run. This OS seems like it's catering exactly to that: a more professional look (without the "artsy" Metro interface) with new productivity features, such as the native multiple desktop support.

Also sticking to the corporate topic, many web devs struggle with clients refusing to adopt modern browsers (aka newer version of IE). A major reason for this is that these clients aren't upgrading their Windows. The new versions of Windows automatically ship with the latest version of IE, and if MS manages to convince a majority of corporate clients to upgrade their OS, they also instantly make them upgrade their browsers, killing two birds with one stone, essentially. For this reason I believe MS is very focused this time around to make this the perfect OS for the office, while still trying to cater to home/mobile users.

If you right click on the taskbar, and click properties, then go over to start menu, there's an option to use the old Metro Start Screen.

I prefer the Windows 8 environment too and that means much more than replacing a Start Menu with a Start Screen. This means focusing and minimizing distractions. Apps (desktop and modern), for example, should open fullscreen -- and stay in fullscreen. Seldom do I want windowed mode. And although I can't speak for the OP or others who enjoyed Windows 8: I find Taskbars, Titlebars, Minimize Buttons and System Tray notifications distracting, cumbersome and antiquated.

I completely agree with you.

I think that W10 is trying to get a balance for the two approaches and, for now, I'm pleased with it.

I tend to reject the possibility of using / purchasing a touch screen for my desktop and I find the Metro UX poor and dissapointing with keyboard and mouse, but I find it lovely on the Surface devices. Also I like how the ModernUI apps look in a window, and I support the trend on Monder-izing all the included apps --Paint, Notepad,...; but the W10 mix is simply great for me. Neat, simple and usable with mouse & keyboard.

Maybe a wizard at the installation procedure can do the trick.

My posts are entirely mine, don't reflect any company's policies, principles or interests.
I am jumping onto Supreeme soapbox too.  IMHO, the metro UI is not productive / compatible with a business environment.  The option can be available to those that like it but a Win 7 UI or similar is more beneficial.  If jumplists could be configured that were associated with the desired tiles, that may help productivity.  The goal of any GUI is lower number of clicks not more.

In my experience 8 requires fewer clicks to access stuff than 7 did, but YMMV.

But I agree that adding jump lists to the Screen would be a nice addition. They're about the only thing I missed from the Menu.

"Love is just a trick nature plays on us to get us to reproduce" - Callisto, Xena Warrior Princess
I don't feel that way at all because it is just s few view clicks to change back to original 8.x UI experiences. It is just by default, they wanted to show the return of the Start menu in a familiar form. It does not look like 7 at all though either. It is progress in the overall plan of hybrid design.