How to encrypt SD card on Windows RT

For my terabyte external I encrypted that with my desktop that has Win7 on it, seemed to work alright.

But my question is, if I didn't have a desktop with bitlocker capabilities, how am I supposed to encrypt my sd card I just got for my Surface RT?
It just has the 'safe recovery key' option in the control panel application for the System drive itself...

I have a sd card adapter in a random box if I REALLY need to plug it into my desktop, but the point is, how do I encrypt using bitlocker purely from the Surface RT? Is it possible?

Thanks very much!

Question Info

Last updated July 16, 2019 Views 6,563 Applies to:
Answer
Answer

Hello Jessen,

I believe your answer is not quite correct.

Windows RT, like Windows 8 Home, can access and fully use BitLocker-encrypted drives (Bitlocker-to-go), but it can not create them or automatically unlock them (ie the user must enter the drive's password each time the drive is mounted).

In addition, Windows RT automatically encrypts the system drive using BitLocker, and this encryption can not be disabled.

So yes, Windows RT offers quite a lot of encryption technology, but not the full blown BitLocker experience.

To answer Charles's original question, you need to encrypt the SD drive on a Windows 7/8 Professional (or higher) system and then move it to the Windows RT computer. You will have to enter the password each time after restarting the tablet.

Given how little free space there is on the system drive on 32GB Windows RT system, I find it sad that Microsoft did not allow an easier way to handle encryption of external drives...

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.