Why can't i see my personal hotspot fm my iphone on my new surface

I can see other wireless routers around here and the Microsoft sales rep could use his windows phone as a hotspot that worked with the surface, but my ipiphone does not appear in the list of available connections.

Question Info

Last updated December 3, 2019 Views 35,010 Applies to:
Answer
Answer

Do you have an apostrophe (or any other special character) in the name of your iPhone?  If so, try removing all special characters from the iPhone name in, Settings - General - About - Name.  Then reboot the iPhone and try again.

61 people were helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Answer
Answer
Firstly I would try fully powering off your entire phone, and then once back on restart the app and see if any changes. If you still cannot view that network on your Surface RT, ensure you can detect and connect to the hotspot from a different device. If other device fails you likely have an issue with your Iphone app or the phone itself and I would try contacting Apple support or support for the particular hotspot app if it is third party. If the non-Surface device successfully detects and connects to the hotspot I would next have you try completely powering off your Surface, and once back on trying to connect again. If still not detecting the network, your phone may be broadcasting in what's called "ad-hoc" mode, or loosely meaning a network without a dedicated router, and some devices may have problems connecting to such networks, so I would try looking in the hotspot app's settings to see if there is an option to change the broadcasting mode (Apple/app support should be able to tell you if this is possible and if so how to do it). If after these steps you are still unable to connect to the hotspot network you may be able to connect to the hotspot via Bluetooth or possibly USB depending on the hotspot applications functionality. Please let me know how this turns out! 

8 people were helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.