Why doesn't Windows 8 have a "Close active window/app" button in the charm bar?

Closing an app (truly closing it) is the biggest pain in the butt on both a tablet and PC and one of the biggest reasons I'm considering returning my Surface.  A simple swipe and click would be much easier than the current process on both a tablet and pc with windows 8.  It would also be much easier to close an active window in the desktop view of my Surface than trying to click the little close box with my fat thumbs.

There's always ALT F4 if you have the keyboard attached.

But I agree with what you're saying - there could be some more enhancements for desktop apps considering MS have admitted that it's not suited to the touch environment.

Some pinch to zoom features while on desktop would be pretty helpful too with accuracy.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Unfortunately the Surface's keyboard doesn't have f keys.  I'm just not fond (nor do I really know anyone who is) of the way Modern/Metro Apps are closed.  

This and the app switching (swipe from left) have beyond frustrated my wife to the point where she won't even use it.  She's happy using my old first gen iPad.  It's growing on me, but I'm frustrated with what seems to me a few obvious overlooked issues all with Windows rather than the Surface itself.

Sorry this didn't help.

Unfortunately the Surface's keyboard doesn't have f keys.
The fn key plus the top row of action keys on the touchcover can be used to type function keys. So pressing Alt-Fn-▸/Ⅱ  (Play/Pause) is the same as typing Alt-F4.

Sorry this didn't help.

Thanks, I tried alt-fn-4, then didn't bother any further since I only use the keyboard a fraction of the time anyway.  Where is Microsoft's suggestion box?  This isn't so much an issue as an annoyance that I think they can easily fix and make Windows 8 just that much better.

Sorry this didn't help.

The swiping from left is pretty easy to switch apps. You can also swipe from left partially and then back to left and it will open up small thumbnails of all your open apps and the start screen. Check out the how to in the help section of the surface.

Sorry this didn't help.

To close an App just swipe down from the top of the screen to the bottom. You should see the screen reduce in size to about 1/2 then shrink all the way down to the bottom of the screen. The App is then full terminated and does not show if you swipe in from the left.

Sorry this didn't help.

To close an App just swipe down from the top of the screen to the bottom. You should see the screen reduce in size to about 1/2 then shrink all the way down to the bottom of the screen. The App is then full terminated and does not show if you swipe in from the left.
This doesn't work with desktop apps at all. It will cause it to switch to the start menu as if it had closed desktop, but when you return to the desktop the active desktop app is still running.

One other option to try is to change the desktop screen magnification to 125%.

See the change the display settting section of the Office Touch Guide. Should at least make it slightly easier to touch the controls.

Sorry this didn't help.

Desktop applications should still be using the standard Windows API and include the close X in the top right corner. Closing the desktop without exiting a running application 1st will not exit the program and just move desktop to a background task. Even the Office RT applications are not entirely viable to touch control as the icons are so small.

Which one is showing a problem.

Sorry this didn't help.

To summarize, closing apps in Windows RT/8 is very, very simple once you get the hang of it.

As mentioned, it's incredibly simple to swipe from the left to change apps. Then, to close any app, on a touchscreen, you simple swipe from the top bezel to the bottom bezel and the app closes. You don't have to slow down, or stop the swipe, just swipe it off the screen. Again, this couldn't be any easier.

The desktop is now an app running on Windows 8. If you run the desktop, it is an app that allows other apps to run in that interface. As always, clicking the X in the top right hand corner of the app will close it. Additionally, you can either right click, or click and hold the icon for the open app in the toolbar and select the option to "close".

The hardest part is realizing that the old desktop is really just an app that allows other apps to run in the background. It's unnecessary for most things on Windows RT. The more things you run in the metro interface, the easier everything becomes. That's the beauty of RT...almost everything should run in metro.

Sorry this didn't help.

"Where is Microsoft's suggestion box?  This isn't so much an issue as an annoyance that I think they can easily fix and make Windows 8.......  LOL LOL LOL So Onion!

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated April 28, 2018 Views 1,855 Applies to: