Windows 7 Service Pack 1 x64 Installation Failure error code 0x80073701

Hi, I have tried to install SP1 on Window 7 Home Premium x64 several times today and all end up with failure with the same error code. (error code 0x80073701 - the reference can not be found). I have tried troubleshooting windows update, system update readiness tools, disabling security software, and even installing in safe mode, and all end up with failure. I use offline installer (windows6.1-KB976932-X64.exe) because using windows update, the download can't even start (at first, it starts, then stuck at 22%, and then it shows the same error code).

Hope you can help...

Additional information:

Firewall: Windows Firewall

Antivirus: Microsoft Security Essential 2.0

Additional security softwares: Malwarebytes Anti-Malware 1.50 with real-time protection (has been disabled, but still fail), Panda USB Vaccine (I think this has no connection at all with this problem)

Additional resident programs: SmartDefrag 1.5, Advanced SystemCare 3.7.3, Daemon Tools Lite

Question Info

Last updated October 14, 2018 Views 99,758 Applies to:
Answer

Ferdian and Ron,

Can you try the following:

1. Uninstall all updates for Windows. Go to Control Panel, then Uninstall a Program, then click on View installed updates on the left. One by one, find everything under the "Microsoft Windows" category that's listed as an "Update" or "Security Update", right-click on it and Uninstall (if available). You may need to reboot.
  2. Run the following from an administrator cmd prompt: dism /online /remove-package /packagename:Package_for_KB976932~31bf3856ad364e35~amd64~~6.1.1.17514
  3. Try to install SP1 again.

Let me know if this resolves your problem. Thank you both so much for your cooperation in this matter!

Mark [MSFT]

58 people were helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Answer

Well after hours of time i found a solution and posted a how to here :

http://marcin.malkowski.eu/2011/03/02/windows-7-service-pack-1-error_sxs_assembly_missing/

15 people were helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.