Vista - Error Code: 80070005 (Can't install Windows Defender Definitions)

·        I got s 80070005 error code when:

Windows Update did it's automatic update search and downloaded a normal Windows Defender definitions update.

It downloaded but would not install.  I have regularly gotten these Defender definitions updates and installed, without problem, for a couple years - until Monday July 5th for some reason.  I am not aware of any changes I made to any programs since I successfully downloaded and installed my last Defender definitions update about a week earlier.

I use a single Windows Vista Ultimate Desktop with no networking or wireless involved.

I saw in a previous question and answer thatManasa P   of   Microsoft Support, on June 25th wrote:

This issue can occur if access is denied when accessing or copying files during the Windows Update or Microsoft Update process. Access can be denied if you are logged on to the computer as a standard user and this account does not have the proper permissions to install updates.

Method 1: Log on to the computer as an Administrator

1. First please confirm you have logged on an account with administrative privileges.
2. Now perform Windows Update.

Method 2:

If you still come across the issue, reset the Windows Update components and check if you still get that error message.

Click on the Fix It button in the article below to do that automatically or you may do it manually as well. For more information refer to the article below.

How do I reset Windows Update components?
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/971058

That situation was about an HP monitor driver update.  Is 'resetting" Windows Update components all I have to do as well for my situation, with a problem installing the Defender definitions update file?  Just using the "Fix it" button, or is there something different about my situation?

Thanks,  Jim North

Question Info

Last updated March 25, 2018 Views 7,301 Applies to:
Answer
Answer

Hi Robear,

Good news:  Over the weekend the 'alert to install' the older definitions file that failed went away on it's own.  Then, this afternoon, the newest Definitions update file, 1.85.1905.0 downloaded and installed without a problem.  Wonder what caused the orignal problem?!

Thanks again, Jim North

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.